Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blisters on steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Blisters on steps

First I have vinyl steps...well I guess...They are white.lol Last fall I noticed a couple bumps on the wall of the step. This year I just found they are everywhere. From the size of a m&m to a nickel. Some have cracked open so I have nodoubt they are leaking. Is this a defect or something I did? lol Thanks
    16x36 vinyl
    300 lb sta-rite sand filter
    3/4 hp sta-rite pump
    Aquarite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Is this an inground pool?

My first reaction when I read your post was 'defect'. How old is the pool? If relatively new I'd talk to the pool builder and have them check it out.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a in ground pool. The pool is 6 years old.

I'm not sure what to do. Whatever it...is it's not gonna be good.
    16x36 vinyl
    3/4 hp sta-rite pump
    Aquarite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm the only one that has had this happen? Just my luck.
    16x36 vinyl
    3/4 hp sta-rite pump
    Aquarite SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you ever added muriatic acid in the shallow area of the steps where the blisters occur? I am wondering if it could be due to a reaction to a high concentration of the acid.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

6. Back To Top    #6

Stanton, you have the molded fiberglass steps, the same kind we install on almost every pool we build. Your problem is not unique -I've seen it quite a few times. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it nor why it happens, though I suspect it's a chemistry issue. There are companies that can resurface the stairs - I don't know any by name, but do know that they are out there. The blisters are only in the top-coat of the stair and will not cause a leak - they just aren't aesthetically pleasing and at some point may burst causing the possibility of splinters in some unsuspecting swimmer's foot or elsewhere

I wish I could be more insightful, but honestly lack the experience with this to provide a definite solution

I suggest you not worry too much about it at the moment, try to find one of the resurfacing companies I spoke of - if I stumble across one of them - I'll give you their address
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7
    I think it is called delimitation of the fiberglass on the steps. This happens when the gelcoat is not good, the water gets behind the gelcoat causing bubbles, which crack open. It is not good, cause then it can damage the fiberglass under the gel coat. The gelcoat can be redone. You should contact the pool company and explain what happened. I don't know if they will do anything, but it is worth a try. They may be able to give you the name of someone who can fix the steps.
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll give my installers a call. Doubt anything will come out of it since they already have giving me the run around around on a crappy coping job and concrete work in the past. It's worth a shot. Thanks again.

I would appreciate any info on resurfacing the steps if anybody runs across it.

Thanks again.
    16x36 vinyl
    3/4 hp sta-rite pump
    Aquarite SWG

9. Back To Top    #9
    I had two or three of those on my steps, I drained the water down and sanded them off and repaired with some white gelcoat I got from the local boat dealer. That was probably 3 years ago and it has held up fine, but I have noticed a couple of new smaller ones that I may do the same with some day.

10. Back To Top    #10
    I had two or three of those on my steps, I drained the water down and sanded them off and repaired with some white gelcoat I got from the local boat dealer. That was probably 3 years ago and it has held up fine, but I have noticed a couple of new smaller ones that I may do the same with some day.