CYA/Chemistry question

Apr 11, 2013
Hi. Below are my numbers

32K gallon SWG pool.
New AquaRite t-15 running 60% 14 hours/day
FC 3.2 Checked nightly
PH Rises from 7.6 to 8.0 in about 4 days.
TA 80
CH 200
CYA 40
SALT 3100
Borates 0

Few questions.

Do I really need to bring up my CYA to 70-80 if I can keep fc at 3 at only 60% run over 14 hours? What recommendations are there to get my PH rise to calm down. I know it is caused 100% from my SWG, because it recently broke and for a week I had no PH rise while I did dichlor (which got my CYA to 40). Expert at Leslie's is totally against selling me CYA and says 40 is great. Interesting because he isn't making money, but maybe he is hoping i'll have other issues that bring me back for more.

Do I need to raise my CH from 200 to 300? It does slightly help my CSI, but the only way I can see to really keep my CSI in range is to keep a higher PH around 7.8. Recommended 7.5-7.6 gives me too big a negative on the CSI.

How low should I lower my TA? Should I bring it down from 80?

Last piece of info...my pool looks gorgeous and clear and sparkling, so I am not sure I should touch anything. I would like to add less Acid every week, and it wouldn't be bad to have the salt cell work less if I can.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Tony

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Well, raising your CYA would allow you to run the pump and SWG less, saving money on electricity. It should also result in the cell lasting longer before you have to buy another one.

You could work to lower the TA some which should slow the pH rise. Note that dichlor is acidic so it was certainly helping to hold the pH down.

CH is fine if the CSI is reasonable ... with the number you provided ... even a pH of 7.5 should be an acceptable CSI (-0.5)

Seems like you have a pretty good handle on things :goodjob:

Thanks. I forgot to mention that every time I check my FC and CC levels I have a CC level of .2 (once in a while .4). The past 30 readings have showed me this...I am using the Taylor K2006 kit.

I keep reading that it should be at 0...what is your recommendation to get me down to 0. The good news is that it has never been over .4.

I have a gunnite pool with pebble tech.

Regarding first question, I will go up to CYA of 60 and report back my findings. Thanks for the help.

Thoughts?

CC levels below 0.5 can be ignored and considered normal. By the way, I would switch to using a 10 ml sample when doing the FC and CC test since you really don't need better than 0.5 ppm resolution.

Anything under 0.5 for CC is fine. Mine is usually 0 but on occasionally it reads 0.5. No problems.

You must me using the 25ml sample size. You can save some of your reagent if you go down to 10ml. Each drop then counts .5 in your calculations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.