MOVED - AquaTrol-HP or Aquatrol-RJ?

Jun 5, 2013
Felton, Delaware
Ok so, I am pretty sure I've decided I want to go with the Hayward Aquatrol Chlorine Generator. I really like the controller having the ability to turn the pump on and off, so it saves me a little bit on the electrical installation, not having to buy a timer. So the question I have is, they sell two different types. One is an inline, horizontal mount model (HP) with a pressure switch and the other is a vertical mount, "Return Jet" mounted model (RJ). Are there any concerns or warnings that I should be aware of before I buy either one of these? Here is what I am coming up with:

- I like the idea that the RJ does not have a pressure switch, one less piece that could potentially break and cause havoc.
- I like the idea that the RJ installs very close to the pool edge and minimizes the space that's taken up.
- According to Amazon, the RJ Twistlock version sells for about $120 less than the HP Twistlock model ($502 vs $620).
- In the event of a pump failure (but the controller stays on), I'm assuming that both models will stop generating chlorine. Assuming the flow meter tells the HP model to stop producing chlorine, what tells the RJ Model to stop?

Anything I am missing? Any reason why I should want one over the other that I am not mentioning?

Anyone have experience with one or the other?

TIA!

Billy

The difference between the HP & RJ model is that the HP has a flow switch and the RJ doesn't, as you figured out.

In your scenario of the pump shutting down the HP will stop generating, but the RJ model will keep right on making chlorine. Thats why you have to install it right at the return, so if it generates with the pump off, the chlorine will dissolve into the bulk pool water. It also allows any gases to easily escape and not get trapped in the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.