what is the best way to add CYA to new pool

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I have a brand new 24 ft round pool
cartridge filter with 2 hp hayward pump...
I shocked pool today with 1 pound of the shock provided.
Ph is 7.6
Alk is about 150
FC is right at 5 ppm

My question is now I need to add CYA...but I am not sure about the best way to do that...I have been told I could run it through skimmer, but I have been told by a more trusted source from here to put it in a sock and hang in pool...if this is the case are we talking a skimmer sock or a regular tube sock or a nylon stocking? How do I know which is the best way. I am also going to be cautions...the CYA that I have says 1 lb for 4000 gallons...since my pool is just shy of 15000 gallons I am going to start wtih two pounds and test and then see where it goes from there. Any suggestions...i don't want to put too much in.

How much CYA you want to add partially depends on what you are going to use as a chlorine source. Trichlor tablets contain CYA, so you don't want to add much CYA if you are going to be using trichlor. If you are going to be using bleach I would start with 3 lbs poured slowly into the skimmer. The only restriction to adding CYA to the skimmer is that you should not backwash/clean your filter for a week after adding CYA.

The sock method is really only valuable if you know you will have to backwash/clean the filter.

Jason, brand new filter and I have only been running it for about three weeks now...all the big stuff gets caugth in the baskets...So I won't be backwashing or cleaning the cartridge for two long...I started with just shock but am going to use either liquid clorine of bleach so I won't be using the tabs...I find that the tabs are just too hard to be consistent with. Thanks for that advice...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.