Fiberglass Pool Stains

Proteam's description "Crystallizes and removes metals from pool water through the filter"
Since using I have no stains. I had a pretty bad case...the entire pool would turn light brown without at least 1qt a week (more if I wanted it completely stain free -white. Before...shocking the pool meant treating stains as well with AA(even with a full qt of metal out (sequesterant). I've shocked every week since using with no stains. 1qt of Metal Magic is FAR less expensive than metal out with a one time heavy dose as opposed to hand or fist doses. Seemed to "remove" the problem for me. I'm just happy I'm not dumping money down the drain while getting professional advice to keep adjusting CH here and pH there and adding sequesterant hand over fist.

hmmm, good post JimCar71. Thanks for the update. I liked metal magic, but never did do it the way you described. I have used Jack's Magic this year (the blue stuff ) which seems to be working better. I got stains back after the Doheney's metal out, so I tried Jack's Magic. I will try the metal magic as you suggested if I get stains back and let you know. This is why it is so important for all of us to post the results. It is the most baffling thing - sometimes what works one year does not work another year. This is my 9th season and so far they have all been slightly different. All I do know for sure is that the ascorbic acid takes the stains off, and high chlorine along with high ph makes the metals fall out of solution. It would really be great if the Metal Magic does get rid of the metals for the season! We shall see........ :goodjob:

I've used about 2 Gallons of Metal Magic over the past 45 days in a 10K pool. So far, the product works the best for me because it does remove the stains and lately, the stains are staying away for much longer periods of time. I'm counting in days this year not weeks. But, I really don't believe for one minute that it removes the metals by "forming crystals and removing them in the filter." I've done a lot of outside reseach and there are virtually no products or processes that on a wide-scale remove metals from water. If there was, that product would grab 100% market share!!

I agree with Marie. It is hard to make firm claims on what works 100% of the time. Field experience is the best way to learn from each other.

I also have not had good experiences with Metal Out and Stain Tamer.

I have no doubt that MM is sequestering the metals quite effectively for you. I am not doubting it does not "work." But, I simply don't believe it has the power to remove metals from the water by crystalizing. Testing my water after it is "clear" of metals after using MM still yields an iron content in the water - the product is NOT physically removing the metals. If you look at the MSDS it is similar to other type of products on the market. I'm afraid there is no silver bullet here, as JasonLion points out.

I'm glad the product is working for you!! It worked for me VERY effectively the last 2 seasons. This season, it is working, but for some reason, it is not holding for as long as it did the last few seasons.

Again - I added 2 Gallons - that's 8 quarts over 45 days. At one time, there was over a gallon in the water over a few days which surely is OVER what you are saying at 1 qt/2500 gallons.

Currently, I'm stain free about 7 days and counting, which is the longest I've gone this season. However, the pool is testing at .15ppm iron.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.