Pebble Sheen Finish Wears Out Polaris Sweep Hose Scrubbers

JimM01

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
Northern Virgina
Last summer I replastered my 30-year-old pool with a Pebble Sheen finish and have been very happy with the results. However, one unanticipated result is that the rougher texture of the Pebble Sheen finish causes the sweep hose scrubber on the end of my Polaris 280 to wear down more quickly. This year, I replaced the tail of the sweep hose with an attachment called the AlgaeBlaster. It basically has three small holes drilled into the side which allows water to shoot out and scrub the plaster instead of using a sponge-like scrubber. I can't vouch for the claims the manufacturer makes about improved cleaning efficiency, but it does eliminate the need to buy replacement scrubbers. I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the AlgaeBlaster on the forum, so I thought I'd share my experience with it.

Re: Pebble Sheen Finish Wears Out Polaris Sweep Hose Scrubbe

I have the same finish. I went through maybe 2 or 3 "scrubbers" last season. Decided to buy a robot this year and keep my pressure cleaner as a back up. The nozzle idea sounds good, if the tail doesn't swing out of the pool... I'm surprised they don't make a tail that has bristles all the way around and down it; now that would scrub!

Re: Pebble Sheen Finish Wears Out Polaris Sweep Hose Scrubbe

The three holes drilled into the outside of the AlgaeBlaster allow water to shoot out of the holes when you attach it to the end of your Polaris tail. This allows the tail end to "float" above the plaster, which keeps it from scraping the finish and wearing down. The water jets act like mini pressure washers to loosen dirt and algae from the plaster instead of the scraping action of a tail sponge. There's a picture of it on their website: http://www.algaeblaster.com/

I only have robot experience but I would think it would actually be advantageous to have those scrubbers touching the pool surface.....even if they do wear down rather quickly.

Much like spraying your car clean or wiping it with a rag, that physical touch to the surface would seem to do a better job. $22.00 a pop would get my attention, though.

Just to follow up on my original post, the AlgaeBlaster lasted for five months of daily use and was finally wearing down to the point where I replaced it. It's now about $20, so going with the original scrubber sponge may be more cost-effective at 5 for $10. I didn't notice any significant difference in cleaning ability between the AlgaeBlaster and the sponge, so I may go back to the sponge when the AlgaeBlaster wears out again.

I've got a Pebble sheen finish and a Pentair Racer - 14 months old now - the scrubber on the end of the hose has no wear on it at all. Love the Pebble Sheen finish, but others complain, maybe some are finished smoother than others?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.