Large Bubbles coming from Return line

So I am troubleshooting a suction side leak. Is it a fair assumption that if a hose fitting and clamp are not leaking water...(I can't find any drips at any fittings) that air is not getting sucked in also. In other words can air get sucked in with no loss of water? I know this sounds like a dumb question but I was taught in the ARMY that there are no dumb questions, just stupid people...(just kidding). I replaced my skimmer last season and used new gaskets and I don't have any water running down the side of the pool. I just replaced my pump and motor with a brand new unit (see signature below). I have 1 1/2 inch pvc running under the deck from the skimmer to the pump and then back from the return side of the filter to the return fitting on the pool. I can not find any water dripping.

Must be air entering between the skimmer and the pump.

Check and lube the pump lid o-ring and check the drain plugs on the pump.

You can try putting shaving cream on any plumbing joints to see if it is sucked in.

Thanks for the advice....I will look at the o-ring and drain fittings....this a brand new pump and motor and I failed to look at the o-ring and drain fitting....I assumed they were fine... but maybe they are not ....also I will try the shaving cream trick...I have asked this question before but ....Can air get in without water dripping or spraying out?

Yes. If the pump is running there is negative pressure on the suction lines so air can be pulled in. When the pump is off, water still may not drip out of the air leak source and it may seal up when not under negative pressure.

thanks Jason
I purchased this new pump at a very reduced sales price... It is a 1 1/2 HP pump...my old pump was a 3/4 HP....is it possible I have caused or will cause future issues with my system. My 18 inch Pentair filter is rated at 38 GPM max...(just wondering)

The pump is certainly more powerful and thus has higher suction so you may see problems now that were not obvious before. Also your filtration is going to suffer some since you are now likely forcing more water through the filter than it was designed for.

BTW, for your pool size, we would recommend a 21" sand filter as a minimum anyways (regardless of the pump size) ... which is around 36% larger than what you currently have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Certainly, your pump is too big for that filter.

On a second subject, your filter is too small for the pool.

To get a better system, you can replace the filter with a 24" and match all three up much better.

I just checked the drain plug on the back of my new pump...it was loose....put some Teflon tape on it and tightened it back up........NO MORE BUBBLES !!! thanks for the advice....Word to the wise for everyone "check all fittings and plugs even on new equipment..."NEVER ASSUME"...

So Dave Please don't laugh too hard when I run this by you...

My old pump was rated at 50 gpm, and my new one is 70 gpm... I am planning on upgrading to a larger filter but it may be a month or so to get it...so I was thinking that flow rate was related to pressure...and if I reduced the pressure going into my filter valve it would reduce the flow rate....so I thought about creating a 3 or 4 inch diameter pressure dropping chamber out of a foot or so of high pressure pvc and inserting it into the 1 1/2 inch plastic hose that connects my pump to the filter valve....what do you think? Am I wasting my time?

I am not exactly sure about what you described, but adding a restriction (valve) between the pump and filter could be used to reduce the flow rate through the filter.

Although I am not sure I would worry about it until you think you are actually experiencing too much flow through the filter ... like if you can not keep the water clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.