Party tomorrow chlorine a bit high.......

Jun 2, 2011
East Texas
I finished the shock process and have not added chlorine now for 4 - 5 days. Sunday I think?
I turned on the SWG yesterday instead of just free flowing. Today I just tested at FC 8.5 no cc. PH 8 TA 170. added acid but do I.....
A. turn the swg off for the day and see if it drops by tomorrow.
B. leave swg on and see if it drops a bit.
C. leave swg on and maybe turn off tomorrow?

We will be in it tomorrow after noon I'm sure some chlorine will be used anyway.
I'm wondering just how much too high will bother our skin/eyes, bathing suits and such.

usually it's a good idea to raise your chlorine a little before a party anyway. If your CYA is at a normal SWCG level, you are fine at 8.5ppm.

What is your cya? As others have posted, if you are within normal cya range for a swg, you are fine to swim at 8.5 FC. It is safe to swim up to shock level, which is in the 20's for normal swg cya values.

wildchilde said:
FC 8.5
CC 0
PH 8
TA 170? slightly pink but another drop makes it red so 180?
just added acid to lower been trying to aerate.
STOP!!!

Your FC level is dependent on CYA level. You cannot say, nor can we, if FC is high without knowing that number!! Full test results are critical. If CYA is 100+, your FC is too low. If it's 10, it's too high.

Is it not showing? I posted it and it obviously disappeared so I edited the last post to add it again. It's at the bottom of the last post. The cya level is 80 but can go out and test it again now to see if it's reading different from last week.

I did not see 80 cya before i posted. G to pool school and look at the cya/chlorine chart and you'll see your minimum, target, and shock FC levels for that cya. You are fine to swim at 8.5. Have a great pool party!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But don't you naturally raise the PH by aeration which does not raise the TA, then add acid which lowers them both and keep going until the desired levels? Like if I get the ph to say 8 and my ta is 60 but i add acid and it lowers the ph to 7.2 and the ta to... whatever it would be... then repeat the scenario until the ta is down to where I want it to be? Or have I completely misunderstood the whole aeration thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.