Desperately Seeking Pool Company

Ramla

Jun 12, 2012
Hello,

I live in Bloomington, Indiana, about one hour south of Indianapolis. In short, unless we find a pool company that can open our pool and service it, we may have to close it up, which breaks my heart.

We moved into our house 3 years ago and have had very little luck finding a pool company that is able and willing to service our very, custom made pool. The pool builder, Terry's Pool, is in Carmel, Indiana and we have tried to get them to come and open our pool for the summer and troubleshoot a number of issues we are having with the pool, including possible water leaking, a faulty cover, etc. However, they have been busy and/or non responsive to my weekly phone calls. All Bloomington local companies refuse to work with our pool stating that it is "too complicated" for them.

Does anyone have a recommendation, suggestion, thoughts as to what to do next? A big part of the reason we bought the house was the pool and to just sit and watch it become a 45,000 gallon waste land is just heart wrenching.

Thanks.

If you have some basic skills, perhaps the kind folks of this forum can try to help you in some areas....but we would need details, etc. They have been very helpful to me. Other than that, I can only suggest trying Angies List in your area for a service company...

Or someone on this forum might recommend on as well. Best of luck!

If you spend the time to read on this forum and ask questions you'll be armed with everything you need to take care of your own pool. The water will be better than if any company cared for it and you'll save a bunch of $$$!

The biggest problem with most pool services is they try to manage pools by visiting once per week and be there for as little time as posssible, this means your chemical levels tend to cycle from being much too high down to much too low on a weekly basis (often pool services are in too much of a rush to even do basic water testing which makes these matters even worse). It is our experience that in order to maintain a manually dosed pool (one without an automatic chemical addition system or an salt water chlorine generator) someone has to test and adjust the chemicals in the water no less than every 2 or 3 days, with a service this would mean even with 2 visits per week they would be pushing it and to do it right would require 3 visits per week, which most people simply are not willing to pay for.

Ike

My sincerest apologies for the LOOONG delay in responding. I have been working tirelessly with a few different companies to get the pool figured out. In case you are interested in what happened/happening, here it is.

No local companies were willing to work on the pool because of the "complicated" structure. We had no idea what that meant. Turns out, we have valves or valets that are at the bottom of the pool, which if not opened or closed properly, could cause structural damage. No one locally was willing to take the risk.

After much back and forth, the company that put in the pool came and opened the pool up for us. We were able to get most of the issues spotted and resolved. We needed a new spa booster and pump, which cost us a lot of $$$ but they are finally working. The pool seemed to be leaking water because we were losing a ton of water and needing to replace it all winter. So we ended up doing a "dive" which resulted in nothing. (Except more $$$). Finally, we found that there is some sort of leakage in either a filter or mechanisms by the spa filter. We tightened up some things and it looks like that is resolved.

Now, I am working on getting the chemistry 100% back in line. As of last night, using my awesome Taylor kit that I purchased last year after reading and studying this forum, my chemistry is as follows:

FC: 0.4 (solution: added bottles of liquid chlorine and salt generator is turned up to 100%)
CC: 0
PH: 7.0
TA: 120
CH: 90

I am having trouble getting a CYA reading. We did put in about 3 gallons of the CYA pool conditioner the last two weeks so I may have to get that professionally checked. We tend to lose a lot of CYA, not sure why.

So, am I doing everything correctly? Should I worry about the TA and the PH? We have a pool cover on all the time, unless swimming, and I am wondering if opening the cover is sufficient to "aerate" the pool. Thoughts on this?

Ramla

Thanks for the update.

Good you got some more bleach in, and continue watching that closely and keep the FC up. Your pH is low and needs to come up. Do you have anything on hand to raise it? If so you migh hold off on it as I think aeration would be your first choice TA where it is, and having a SWG. The SWG will help with the aeration as well, but if you have a fountain or waterfall I would run that a lot too. Running your spa will also help. As for the cover being off for aeration I would say leave off for a few to several hours a day if you can.

As for the CYA, was that addition made before the leak was repaired? If you are consistently losing CYA, my assumption would be from water replacement. It rarely just goes away. Double check the calculation for addition and strength of the liquid CYA. A 45K gallon pool is big and will take a pretty fair amount of product. If you are still losing water it will only make it worse if you are refilling as needed.

Last, you are one of those who could benefit for a short while using calcium hypochlorite tabs or shock with your calcium where it is. I don't know if you have a plaster finish, but a higher level would be better for a gunite type pool. Even 250-300 or so PPM would be much better than 90.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.