Weeping tile grout?? Tile grout running down the wall

Nov 13, 2007
South Florida
I have a tile grout line weeping. I am a fairly new pool owner for just about 2 years. The first year was a horror as far as chemistry. Thanks to this forum, Jasons pool calculator and chem geek I have had a major education and the pool has been crystal clear now for a year. The weeping tile grout started about 6 months after the pool was built. I can't say it has gotten any worse and it is not spreading. I am just getting around to posting the question and picture for some help on fixing the problem My chemistry and photo is below. Thank you

FC 3.0
ph 7.6
ta 70
ch 320
cya 55
salt 3000

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 113
welcome to the forum!.

Effloresence. Minerals in the grout are being leeched to the surface and deposited by evaporation.

To my knowledge. There's little you can do to stop it without some really major effort. Most folks simply clean it off with a 4:1 dilution of muriatic acid once or twice a year.

I believe it will eventually stop but I cannot tell you why it stops or when.

That is usually caused by water getting behind the tile work from somewhere else. Sometimes you can stop it by sealing the place the water is getting in, if you can figure out where that is. Other times you just have to live with it.

JasonLion said:
That is usually caused by water getting behind the tile work from somewhere else. Sometimes you can stop it by sealing the place the water is getting in, if you can figure out where that is. Other times you just have to live with it.

That would make sense. My pool deck is made of travertine with sand. The grout line weeps right at the level if not slightly lower than the level of the pool deck. Sealing it would seem to be impossible.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.