Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weeping tile grout?? Tile grout running down the wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Weeping tile grout?? Tile grout running down the wall

I have a tile grout line weeping. I am a fairly new pool owner for just about 2 years. The first year was a horror as far as chemistry. Thanks to this forum, Jasons pool calculator and chem geek I have had a major education and the pool has been crystal clear now for a year. The weeping tile grout started about 6 months after the pool was built. I can't say it has gotten any worse and it is not spreading. I am just getting around to posting the question and picture for some help on fixing the problem My chemistry and photo is below. Thank you

FC 3.0
    ph 7.6
    ta 70
    ch 320
    cya 55
    salt 3000
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15k Diamond Brite, Aquarite SWG, 1.5hp StaRite, Hayward Star Clear 17502, AquaCal heat pump, Pentair Great White pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    welcome to the forum!.

Effloresence. Minerals in the grout are being leeched to the surface and deposited by evaporation.

To my knowledge. There's little you can do to stop it without some really major effort. Most folks simply clean it off with a 4:1 dilution of muriatic acid once or twice a year.

I believe it will eventually stop but I cannot tell you why it stops or when.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    That is usually caused by water getting behind the tile work from somewhere else. Sometimes you can stop it by sealing the place the water is getting in, if you can figure out where that is. Other times you just have to live with it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    That is usually caused by water getting behind the tile work from somewhere else. Sometimes you can stop it by sealing the place the water is getting in, if you can figure out where that is. Other times you just have to live with it.
    That would make sense. My pool deck is made of travertine with sand. The grout line weeps right at the level if not slightly lower than the level of the pool deck. Sealing it would seem to be impossible.

Thanks
    15k Diamond Brite, Aquarite SWG, 1.5hp StaRite, Hayward Star Clear 17502, AquaCal heat pump, Pentair Great White pool cleaner