This doesn't make sense

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
My return hose on the polaris 280 booster pump blew off. I think it was just loose, seems to be ok once I put it back on. The part that doesn't make sense to me is that the system backed up and blew DE into the pool. The booster is down stream from the filter. :scratch:

Did the DE come out of the returns or the skimmer?

It might of just been the pressure wave caused by the sudden release of pressure when the hose blew off.

Yea, that was probably a back pressure wave. That can happen whenever there is a sudden change in pressure. But did the DE come out of the skimmer after you turned off the pump or while the pump was on?

Well, the report I get is that the DE was coming out when the pump was running right after the hose popped off. The pump was turned off and a little while later the timer kicked it back on and more DE came out. When I got to it later and repaired the hose and turned the pump on I didn't see any signs of DE coming out.

Thanks for the response.

If the filter pump was running the entire time I can not imagine how DE could travel upstream out of the filter, backwards through the pump, and all the way to the skimmer ... i agree that does not make sense.

If the pressure wave was large enough, it could have forced the flow in reverse but the conditions have to be just right. This article can give you a feel for how large some of these waves can get:

http://www.pumped101.com/waterhammer.pdf

I am not saying this is what happened only that is possible. It is more likely that it was air in the filter that released when the pump shut off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.