Out with the "Blob', in with the metal frame!

Jun 13, 2010
Got rid of my blob pool last fall, and snagged a 16X42 metal frame for this season! Assembly was nothing I didnt expect. Got the frame level within 3/4 inch, seems to work out well, no signs of distress.

The thru-wall skimmer is nice, seals tight, as does the thru-wall pump outlet. Petroleum jelly keeps the surface sealed and lubricated when installing the outlet.

Only got one day of swimming before afternoon storms got in the way. Having a few years of BBB method behind me, no problem! Water was a bit green from the hose - straight into shock mode! Rain dilution? Nail it with the bleach! Still working to get the chemistry just right, but the rains have me in Bleach Defense Mode until they stop a bit

My tip for those with the thru-wall skimmer... it doesnt work well when the pool is overfilled. There are minimum and maximum fill marks on the skimmer face plate. I plan on selecting my permanent level within that range once the rains stop, and drilling a small hole at that level so the pool will automatically dump excess water. Otherwise, you open the pump vent which is slow and messy, and pull the pump exhaust hose for more speed and mess. With the hole, it will dribble it's way down to the perfect level wetting the yard no worse than the rain that caused the overfill.

Many thanks to this board and the BBB folks! Without it and them, I'd be stuck in Science Project Mode!

Intex advises in their set-up instructions to add petroleum jelly to the thru wall fittings. I thought this was not a good idea for the rubber seals too, so I only put it on the threads to help the main nut tighten more smoothly. I did this for 4 years on my old Intex pool without incident.

Congrats on upgrading from the "Blob" ! I too made the move this year and am thrilled with the new pool. Not to mention my kids who totally outgrew the old Easy Set pool.

Enjoy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.