vacation configuration

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I am a first-year pool owner and BBBer. I have things pretty well stabilized, and I'm currently consuming ~ 3 ppm/day, which equates to 1/2-gallon of 12% bleach for my pool at sunset each evening.

We are going on vacation for 9 days. We invited two couples to come swim anytime they want. It is 104 F every day here so I suspect they will take advantage of the offer, but not on any consistent basis (certainly not every day). I will ask them to throw in 1/2 gallon of bleach any day they DO come swimming, but how do I maintain chlorine in the meantime?

I have some trichlor pucks and a floater. Should I put 3 pucks in and let it float? Pump runs 2x a day for 4 hrs.

Solar blanket on or off?

I expect the water won't be in pristine shape when we return, but would like to avoid coming back to find a green swamp full of mosquitos.

What is your CYA? You have wiggle room?

If it were not going to be used, I would say raise it to shock level and put the cover on.

You could still raise it up to shock level before you leave and then have them add the 1/2-1 gallon of bleach each time they come over.

Mosquitos? You get those here???

we looked at foreclosure houses for a year before we bought this one; yes - there are mosquitos in Tucson!

CYA is about 50 ppm. I was thinking of going higher anyway to preserve chlorine longer. So using a few trichlor tabs doesn't worry me

I'll get it up to shock level before I leave and have guests add a gallon of bleach if/when they go swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.