New test kit and new numbers...few questions

May 18, 2013
North Texas
So I received the TF-100 kit in the mail yesterday and immediatly started testing. A few of my numbers are WAY off....

FC 2.45
CC 0.15
TC 2.6
TA 360!!! :shock:
PH 7.8
CYA 100
CH 250

So I know the TA is crazy high..don't know how that happened. According to pool calculator I added 1 qt and 2 cups acid and will aerate. I will need to drain some water from pool and refill to lower CYA a bit but when I did the OTO test it is still turning an orange color from so much chlorine but according to the other chlorine tests it seems to be ok...why would this be?
I have a 15,100 gal IG vinyl pool....

I forgot to mention that I had also been fighting with a total swamp. We didn't cover the pool this winter or properly winterize other than antifreeze so it was in bad shape. I had dichlor powder from last summer that I used to shock (I now know this is bad after finding this site) which cleared up the pool (finally!!). That I also realize is why my CYA level is high...Would this also have the affect on TA as well?I want to switch over and use only bleach as is recommended here....

Welcome! :wave:

Retest things. From extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

There's also some notes in the CYA test that you need to read.

The learning curve is steep but brief. Don't get overwhelmed. :shaking2: :shaking:

And don't worry to much about that TA level it will slowly come down as you maintain PH. My fill water is around 300 for TA & CH with rain water and maintaining PH both are already under 200 hundred this year.

Ok I see what I did. I looked at the laminated card that came with my test kit and it says to multiply by .05 so that what I did. Took my numbers and multiplied by .5 like you said and that makes MUCH more sense!!

PH 7.8
FC 24.5
CC 1.5
TC 26
TA 360

So obviously my chlorine level is still crazy high after shocking. Do I just leave it and will eventually lower? The kids are wanting to swim but just don't like how high it is. On the bright side the swamp has been taken care of and water is blue. Still slightly cloudy but clearing more each da

Read through the Pool School section again on the shock process. You will need to pass the test for shocking, including having clear water, and then pass the overnight chlorine test. Then be sure the FC level comes down below shock level before anyone starts swimming.

What is your CYA level now? Have you drained any of the water yet?

lonestargal said:
Ok I see what I did. I looked at the laminated card that came with my test kit and it says to multiply by .05 so that what I did. Took my numbers and multiplied by .5 like you said and that makes MUCH more sense!!

PH 7.8
FC 24.5
CC 1.5
TC 26
TA 360

So obviously my chlorine level is still crazy high after shocking. Do I just leave it and will eventually lower? The kids are wanting to swim but just don't like how high it is. On the bright side the swamp has been taken care of and water is blue. Still slightly cloudy but clearing more each da
No...you keep FC above 25 (assuming CYA is still 100) until the water is clear, the CC is .5 or less, and the overnight loss is 1.0 or less. Then it will come down on its own in a day or two.

Yes CYA is still 100. I had to work late today so I didn't get to drain. I know the recommended level is 30-50 but we are in such a severe drought where I live right now would it be horrible to keep the level at 100?? Obviously if its gonna cause problems I'll drain but really don't want to if I don't have to.
I've read pool school for shock process so I will raise FC just a tad to keep it above 25 until all tests are passed.
This pool is driving me crazy already this year....

In Pool School, isn't the shock level for a CYA of 100ppm actually a FC of 39ppm? Did not realize that the calculator was so much lower.

Just had to check my laminated card. Are you sure yours says .05 and not 0.5? If so, Dave should hear about it.

Have you done the CYA test diluted? Starting with 50/50 mix of Pool and tap water and then doubling the result? You may be well over 100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anything much over 80ppm starts to get problematic.

When did you get your kit? Mine is a little over a month old and does not have a typo. We gave seen a few people make the same mistake and wonder if this is why.

I just recieved it 2 days ago. Wish I could take a pic of it but my camera is not working right at the moment...here is what is says though on step 3 of the Chlorine Drop Test:

"Next, carefully add the R-0871 solution one drop at a time, swirling as you drop. Count each drop until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added x 0.5 (i.e. 14 drops x .05=7ppm) Record this as Free Chlorine (FC)"

So I did mess up on my test but it did get confusing and would be easy to multiply wrong. The kit is very well done though and I think it will help me tremendously once I can get the hang of all this. I've had a pool for several years but have always had the pool store or my dad help take care of it. So trying to learn it all on my own now.

You are correct on FC, it should be number of drops multiplied by 0.5 (or divided by 2).

14*0.5=7 ppm

I agree that you need to do a partial drain/refill. What kind of pool do you have? Could you put your pool and equipment details in your signature.

I'm in the process of partial drain now. Just hope I don't get caught, will be a major fine!!

I updated the pool info as best I could. My filter just had sand replaced 2 summers ago and liner was replaced last summer. As far as more details on the filter or pump, it's all faded. If I remember right I think the filter is 150 or 200#?? Does that sound about right?

Ok so I did a partial drain an refill last night. Pool has been circulating for almost 12 hours. Here are the new test results:

OTO 1
PH 7.8
FC 2
CC 1
TA 150
CH 200
CYA 90

I know I need to lower PH a tad but the other numbers are a huge improvement from last testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.