New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't float

Jun 3, 2013
Is this normal? This pump seems to be stronger than our last one. There were no markings on the old pump that indicated HP or anything so i'm not sure exactly how strong that one was. Since the new pump the skimmer flap(not sure if that's the right term?) gets sucked down and doesn't float at all. This seems to affect the ability to pull surface debris down into the basket.

Is it possible the buoyancy of the flap is just gone? Or is it possible that the pump it just too strong for our setup? The new pump is a Hayward and its 1.0HP 110volts. Just let me know if you need any more info to help.

Re: New pump, now skimmer flap gets sucked down, doesn't flo

Hey thanks for the response,

The water level is very high, we just got a bunch of rain so it's almost overflowing the top of the skimmer.

The pump i have now is a Hayward, I cannot for the life of me remember what brand the old one was. We were having an issue with it tripping the breaker and not turning on. My mom(i take care of the pool for her since my dad passed) had called a pool company to come and look at it and they just replaced it and took the old one away. So unfortunately i don't have the information.

Here's a picture of the specs on the pump: http://i.imgur.com/xRggzUQ.jpg

Is that your only suction line? Or could you shift more suction to come from the bottom?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Could you put the pool and equipment specs in your signature...that will help us help you.

With that said, depending on your plumbing, i.e. if you have a unrestricted short run plumbing or a low loss filter, the flow rate may be very high at the skimmer. If you have a valve somewhere in the system (preferably on the pressure side), you could close it slightly to reduce the flow rate and see if that helps the skimming.

pwrstrk said:
I know on the back of my door there's a little piece of styrofoam to keep it floating.

Yeah my door has that too but apparently the suction is strong enough to hold it down under water.

linen said:
Could you put the pool and equipment specs in your signature...that will help us help you.

With that said, depending on your plumbing, i.e. if you have a unrestricted short run plumbing or a low loss filter, the flow rate may be very high at the skimmer. If you have a valve somewhere in the system (preferably on the pressure side), you could close it slightly to reduce the flow rate and see if that helps the skimming.

Ill get the specs up in my sig when i get a chance. I do not have any valve like that on my system, not that i'm aware of anyway. Its my first year taking care of pool stuff in my life, still learning as i go hah.

cloud32187 said:
Is this normal? This pump seems to be stronger than our last one. There were no markings on the old pump that indicated HP or anything so i'm not sure exactly how strong that one was. Since the new pump the skimmer flap(not sure if that's the right term?) gets sucked down and doesn't float at all. This seems to affect the ability to pull surface debris down into the basket.

Is it possible the buoyancy of the flap is just gone? Or is it possible that the pump it just too strong for our setup? The new pump is a Hayward and its 1.0HP 110volts. Just let me know if you need any more info to help.

First, it's called a weir.

Second, I think the behavior you are describing is normal. When the pump is off, the weir should float, preventing debris from entering the pool. When the pump is on, the weir shouldn't flap unless the pump is not pulling enough water into it to keep it down. The weir in my skimmer does not flap when the pump is on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.