Pentair Model 300

Jun 6, 2013
I'm having some issues with my off-line chlorinator for a baby pool. The chlorine readings are through the roof even when I have the dial set to off. I opened the unit up and dumped everything out and noticed two things. One, is that there is no hard black screen on the bottom and two is there is water coming up through the bottom of the unit (which I thought is where it is supposed to exit). Should I order the screen and replacement elbow?

Welcome to TFP.

If you do a little reading around here you already know the answer I'm about to give. :wink:

Stop using the tablet feeder! :whip:

Ok now that I've got that off my chest, It allowing water to back into the feeder when the top is off is normal. Missing the screen is not. When the lid is on and tight it stops the water flow through the unit by shutting off the inlet flow (i.e. no water in, no water out).

From your description, it sounds like it's adding chlorine all the time.
What size is your pool?
What is the FC reading?
Does it climb every day or just not go down?
If it's climbing, how long has it been climbing?

Bama Rambler said:
What size is your pool?
What is the FC reading?
Does it climb every day or just not go down?
If it's climbing, how long has it been climbing?

It is adding chlorine all the time. Even when I turn the dial to close the readings are still above 5. The pool size is about 4000 Gallons, the FC reading is usually above 5, it just stays steady above 5.

The problem with that number is that I bet your test doesn't go above 5 does it? Try this, take a pool sample and cut it 50/50 with chlorine free water and test the chlorine in that sample and see if it still reads above 5 ppm.

At 4000 gallons that feeder is way to big for that pool.

Since you have the feeder empty, let the pool run until the FC comes down to about 3 ppm.

How long have you had the pool up and running?

Also, why do you say stop using the tablets? We use tablet feeders on all three pools we operate, a 4k baby pool, a 65k recreation pool and a 130k competition pool. What setup would you recommend, a liquid feeder?

The testing kist does not go above 5. I have diluted the sample and the reading was about a 9. I will empty the feeder and let it come down. We've had the pool up and running for about a month now.

Because the tablets keep adding CYA which means that you have to keep upping the FC to compensate and at some point it gets out of hand and you have to drain a lot of water.

Liquid, gas, or a swg is the preferred. I only added gas as this appears to be a commercial venue.

I it is commercial, you most likely need a better test kit. Does your locality have requirements for commercial pool operation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.