Doughboy 21'x41' Autumn Breeze Build Log

chrisklohn

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time lurker on this site and this is my first post. Firstly, I just wanted to thank everyone for their valuable contributions and the sponsors for maintaining such a great database of information. After many months of research and reviews my family and I just ordered our above ground pool package. To say we are excited is an understatement!

It is as follows:

(Raypak C-R406A Commercial Natural Gas Heater)
(Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Variable Speed Pump)
(Hayward C7030 Cartridge Filter)
(Hayward AQ-RT PRO 40 Salt System)
(2 Doughboy Skimmer Kits)
(2 Additional Returns 4 Total)
(2.5" Plumbing With Reducers For The Skimmers & Returns)
(Blue White Flow Meters)
(Hayward Manual Ball Valves)
(Pool Cove Kit)
(16mil 21'x41' Clear Solar Cover)
(Heavy Duty Inground Solar Cover Reel Deck Mount)
(Doughboy 21' x 41' Autumn Breeze Oval with Blue Bayou Expandable Liner)

We will be doing the entire site prep and install ourselves. The expected delivery date for the equipment is July 1st. I've got six weeks off to get it finished and will update the build process with pictures each night. Hopefully, someone will find them as useful as I have found this site.

Cheers,

Chris

Aw ok. Well, if it's something that you have ever considered I would encourage you to do it. It really ups the fun level for the kids. My teenager said it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to have the pool without the extra cannonball room. :) But I understand if you can't go that route as well. It's certainly a lot of work! I wish you luck. After watching the three guys put ours in... well... I'm just glad it wasn't me. LOL Can't wait see pics.

If I could do it over again I would have a deep end. I didn't research it enough before buying. Probably need to go bigger than 24' w/ a hopper though.

Hi Guys,

Are we able to install the liner at a constant depth this year and then remove it and excavate the deep end in two years time? I'm guessing the liner probably wouldn't fare well being removed and re-stretched two years down the road.

Thanks for the input,

Chris

I'm thinking unless you dig by shovel, you will have to remove more than just the liner. Additionally, that's A LOT of water to remove and replace. Plus the sand on the bottom would have to be replaced. I would be hard pressed to go through all of that after the pool has already been installed.

Welcome to tfp, chrisklohn :wave:

I agree that now is the time to do the deep end if you want it. I have one and we are very glad we did, kids get big and deeper becomes more interesting.

The ecostar is a really big pump for your pool (unless you are going to have some high water volume features). A much cheaper alternative would be the hayward 1hp 2-speed matrix and would work well for your pool. If you are set on spending money and having a vs pump, then I would look in the the maxflo vs which is priced quite well compared to the ecostar (and sized better for your pool too).

Also, I would go with a 8 mil cover...cheaper and lighter and regardless of thickness they really only last for a couple years.

Skip the ball valves and go with some brand of neverlubes (doesn't have to be jandy, I have just purchased pentairs version).

4 returns seems excessive to me...but hopefully others will chime in on that.

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the feedback. We are set on the constant depth for the first season. I'll drain the pool, remove the liner and excavate a deep end next season. Just to make sure, I can still leave the pool setup for this and I'm just digging out the deep end? Would you estimate this would take more than a week for two guys with just shovels? We'd like our son to get used to it before we make it over his head.

I'll look into the Jandy Never Lube valves instead of the red Hayward ball valves. The Ecostar was purchased for the super discounted package price, $799, over similar VS models seeming to be much smaller for almost the same amount. We were thinking it would move a large amount of water at a lower rpm than a smaller, less efficient model.

Additionally, we now have six returns and were hoping the pump would have enough power to break the surface on high speed if all six jets are angled upwards. That's our cheap alternative to deck jets and expensive water features...............$10 Hayward returns. It should add a little excitement for the six year old if the pump is powerful enough.

The pool place we bought everything from only carries 12mm, 16mm and 20mm solar covers. The 12mm was $120 versus $250 for the 20mm. Good to know they all die after three years. We'll buy the 8mm next time round.

I will be cutting in my own locations in the panel for all three Hayward Widemouth skimmers and six return jets. Please advise on the best spacing / location for everything. We were hoping to keep one side free of plumbing and mount a skimmer centred at each end along with the centre of the other side. The six jets would be spaced equally on the same three sides.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Cheers,

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chrisklohn said:
We'd like our son to get used to it before we make it over his head.
Imo this is not a good argument...for a couple of reasons.
  • 1. No person (especially a child) should be left unattended in a pool, no matter the depth. I am assuming you would still have a lot of shallow area on one half.
    2. It is amazing how fast kids get "used to the water" (how old is yours?). I specifically bought some wedding cake steps off of CL for my youngest (he was four at the time) since he could not stand with his head above the water in the shallow end...it turns out he really didn't need it...he was bouncing and swimming all over the pool within a few minutes.
    3. Hand digging that much will take a lot of work :shock: ...I am too lazy for that. If I had taken your approach, we would not have a deep end now.

You guys have convinced us.

Our son is six and can swim like a fish already. We never had any intentions of leaving him unsupervised in the pool. I'll have to over excavate, backfill with 3/4 minus road crush and compact everything in six inch lifts with a 1000 pound plate compactor.

We have poor clay soil where I live right now with a heave every year with the freeze thaw cycle. This was the main reason we chose an above ground. We were looking at over $20k just to excavate and backfill the hole for an inground.

Our summer temperatures are typically 100-110 with the winters around -5. Is digging and shaping the hopper in compacted road crush acceptable? I know everything says undisturbed earth and not to build up but rather dig down. We would be looking at digging down approximately 2 feet into compacted crush for the deep end.

Any suggestions on the 3 skimmer and six return locations?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Guys,

The picture above was just a test. I'll try my best to post some pictures of our Doughboy Autumn Breeze install I did by myself this June & July. The project involved putting in a safety net for golf balls and building the retaining wall a little higher for privacy so it's kind of like three in one.

I learned alot doing the work myself and would change a few things if I had to do it all over again. Nevertheless, we are so pleased with the end result and have been in the pool every single day now for over a month straight!

The project isn't finished yet but it'll have to do for the first season. I learned so much by researching on this website and I hope someone finds the pictures of some use for their build down the road. We bought the Taylor K-2006 kit with extra regents and have had perfectly balanced water for the past five weeks............awesome!!

Hope you enjoy the pictures and feel free to comment............

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.