BBB New Pool Startup

May 20, 2008
Ok so Im looking to startup my pool today. Filter has been running Hayward EC40 DE for a couple days now just to keep the water circulating. Im looking to use the BBB method. I have purchased my TF pool kit, havent tested my water yet with the kit. Will do that tonight. I took my water to get tested today at the local pool store. I would like to know how I should start. The kid at the pool store laughed at me when i told him about the BBB but after reading through these forums I really dont care. Anyway here are my numbers from the pool store

Above Ground Vinyl 15 x 30 9100 gallons

FC =0
TC =0
PH = 7.4
TA = 30
calcium = 30 (dont think this matters as I have a vinyl above ground
CYA = 0
Phosphates = 200

Can someone point me in the direction to start please. I have 3 gallons of bleach, 4lbs baking soda and the borax. What to start with first?? How much ?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Put in 5 cups of 6% bleach right away and again each evening till you get your test kit and can test the chlorine level. Pour bleach slowly in front of a return.

You need some CYA in the pool. I would start with 2 lbs, wait a week and then test it and see where you are. CYA can be added directly to the skimmer.

You should raise the TA level a bit soon and more later. I would start with 4 lbs of baking soda, and then test it again when you get your test kit. Baking soda can be scattered across the surface of the pool.

Thanks Jason. I have my tf test kit I will test again later tonight.

What exactly is cya? Is it stabilizer, I can get it at the pool store right?

Thanks again. What exactly is the borax for again?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.