Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB New Pool Startup

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB New Pool Startup

Ok so Im looking to startup my pool today. Filter has been running Hayward EC40 DE for a couple days now just to keep the water circulating. Im looking to use the BBB method. I have purchased my TF pool kit, havent tested my water yet with the kit. Will do that tonight. I took my water to get tested today at the local pool store. I would like to know how I should start. The kid at the pool store laughed at me when i told him about the BBB but after reading through these forums I really dont care. Anyway here are my numbers from the pool store

Above Ground Vinyl 15 x 30 9100 gallons

FC =0
    TC =0
    PH = 7.4
    TA = 30
    calcium = 30 (dont think this matters as I have a vinyl above ground
    CYA = 0
    Phosphates = 200

Can someone point me in the direction to start please. I have 3 gallons of bleach, 4lbs baking soda and the borax. What to start with first?? How much ?

Thanks so much in advance!!!
    Above Ground Vinyl 15 x 30
    9100 Gallons
    Hayward DE EC 40

2. Back To Top    #2
    Put in 5 cups of 6% bleach right away and again each evening till you get your test kit and can test the chlorine level. Pour bleach slowly in front of a return.

You need some CYA in the pool. I would start with 2 lbs, wait a week and then test it and see where you are. CYA can be added directly to the skimmer.

You should raise the TA level a bit soon and more later. I would start with 4 lbs of baking soda, and then test it again when you get your test kit. Baking soda can be scattered across the surface of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks Jason. I have my tf test kit I will test again later tonight.

What exactly is cya? Is it stabilizer, I can get it at the pool store right?

Thanks again. What exactly is the borax for again?
    Above Ground Vinyl 15 x 30
    9100 Gallons
    Hayward DE EC 40

4. Back To Top    #4
    CYA is variously called stabilizer, conditioner, and cyanuric acid.

Borax is used to raise the PH. Your PH is fine right now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School