Pool School n00b Success Story

Jun 5, 2013
I knew I would love you guys here.

I'm a first time homeowner in Austin, TX, and a first time pool owner.

I've been silently sponging information from this forum for about 3 weeks - and have turned a black/green swamp into a decently clear and blue pool. AG round 10k gal w/ Sand (Hayward) Filter

I'd love to post about a few points I've observed, as well as some questions.
1) Pool store tests are overrated. You guys were spot on. I didn't believe this until I tested my pool w/ TF100 vs. pool store's readings. See below for current readings.
Pool Store:
FC: 0.2
CC: 0.0
pH: 6.4 (WHAT?)
CH: 155
TA: 30
CYA: 90

Home Test w/ TF100:
FC: 0.0
CC: 1.0
pH: 7.5
CH: 250
TA: 140
CYA: 40

2) BBB works. All I've used is bleach, baking soda, borax. 24/7 pump run for 3 weeks. No chemicals, and I've maintained my pool daily at tops. While it hasn't changed quickly (mostly, in part, due to my less-than-ideal daily care schedule), it has only gotten better. Now I can see the bottom of pool, consequent of which I have removed about a billion pounds of old leaves from the bottom.

3) At what point can you swim in the pool? I've thrown a lot of chemicals in this bad boy. While FC isn't holding overnight (I put in 128oz 12% bleach last night [only 10ppm shock, need 16], tested today [see above], and I'm back at zero) I think a few more days of proper shock level treatment should make it good to go. Thoughts?

4) I've got some dirt/organics at the bottom of the pool that my skimmer pump vacuum has been awfully slow at picking up. Any recommendations on how to get to this faster to make the water pristine? Or... is it a work in progress over the season?

5) How necessary IS adding DE to your sand filter to speed filtering? It seems like a fairly advanced process that you have to fine tune extraordinarily precisely - am I just being a n00b?

Attached are pictures that prove the simple and effective nature of a methodical implementation of the methods listed here.

Most of all, THANK YOU.

Attachments

• IMG_20130516_142500_c.jpg
    IMG_20130516_142500_c.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 212
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 212
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 212
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Nice work!!! You are making great progress :goodjob:

1. Preach it ;)

2. Many people never need baking soda or borax. The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

3. You can swim when you complete the shock process and the FC drops below the shock level.

4. Are you using a manual vacuum slowly along the bottom to pick up the debris? It should not take all season ... just a few days.

5. It is not very advanced but can certainly help clear up the cloudiness, slowly add DE until the pressure rises 1 psi then when the pressure rises 20-25%, backwash and start over.

Although my FC is at zero (after raising to 10 yesterday)... sounds like more work to be done. Going to keep shocking at 16, then try the overnight FC loss test this weekend, and see how it does. Will update here once that's done.

Almost there... now just to jump in and vacuum.

FC is holding overnight and pool is crystal clear. To maintain proper FC levels throughout summer - should I even think about trichlor tabs in a floatie? Or should I just continue a periodic treatment of bleach based on poolcalculator?

Attachments

• IMG_20130609_143549_c.jpg
    IMG_20130609_143549_c.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 62
ATXrugger said:
Almost there... now just to jump in and vacuum.

FC is holding overnight and pool is crystal clear. To maintain proper FC levels throughout summer - should I even think about trichlor tabs in a floatie? Or should I just continue a periodic treatment of bleach based on poolcalculator?
If you have to ask, the answer is no. No trichlor for you.

Besides adding chlorine, they raise CYA levels, and lower pH and TA. So if you want to use them, you need to balance 4 parameters.

Maybe later on, when you have a good grasp of the balancing act and know your pool and can decide for yourself if the various add-ons are useful, then sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.