I developed an algae bloom for the third time this spring

Ok, this is my first day here on this forum. I've been trying to get registered on pool solutions forum unsuccessfully for over a month. I'm so glad I finally found you. Ok, I've been a pool owner for just over a year and been using pool brand shock and 3" tabs for sanitizer (bought at Sams) I developed an algae bloom for the third time this spring. The first two times (last year) I cleared it up using 50% algecide, but after reading pool solutions recommendations, I've gone to the BBB system. After treating with 6 gals of 8.25% bleach , my pool water has returned to the pretty blue/clear color. I bought a Taylor 2006 test box and have been using it for about a month now. I seem to be getting accurate results for all the tests with the exception of cya. All last year and this spring, I had been using Aqua Chem 6 way treat strips or having my water tested at Bolands true value (electronic tests) or Leslies with mixed results I have more confidence in Leslies for most of the tests. My test strips have been fairly accurate in comparison, but they show a stabilizer level of 150. Recently, 3 cya tests at leslies were 100, 100, 40 (after topping off about 400 gals of fresh water) and one test at Bolands that was 80. My Cya tests have consistently not even gotten up to the scale, so I'm not sure what my Cya really is. I'm got to try the waist high thing and draining half/ filing up the test tube with plain water tonight. Well, can't do that ran out of R-0013 reagent. Tested tonight, fc=.6 (added last 2 gals of 8.25% bleach)-- will have to get some more tomorrow. Cc=0, pH 7.2- 7.6 depending on which test I believe --7.6 was using OTO? Alkalinity = 130. Don't do ch test believing pool solutions advice however pool store tests show
hardness around 100. Still reading this forum. Stopped using shock and tabs thinking it would eventually lower my Cya to reasonable levels, but if leslies last test was correct, maybe I can go back to using them again? Emptying half my pool is out of the question, but so is using 6 gals of bleach every 6 days.

Re: Extended Test Kit Directions

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

When you say that "My Cya tests have consistently not even gotten up to the scale", do you mean that the black dot disappears before the water reaches the 100 ppm CYA line because the solution (after 50/50 mixing with the CYA reagent) is so cloudy? If that is the case, then you have more than 100 ppm CYA and can dilute your initial water sample with tap water before doing the test and then multiply by your dilution rate. So if you mix your pool water with tap water 50/50, then do the test and multiply the result by 2.

With high CYA, you should do a partial drain/refill to lower it. Otherwise you may continue to have difficulty with your pool unless you keep the FC level rather high.

You should also probably start your own thread if you continue to have problems or questions.

Re: I developed an algae bloom for the third time this sprin

Isaac-1 said:
By chance could your CYA test have been exposed to freezing conditions?
I doubt it, I bought the kit about a month ago well after freezing. I called Taylor tech today they said the r-0013 was manufactured this year so it's current. I also had leslies do another cya test today and they did it exactly like the tech said to do it. Cya is again 40. I'm going to get the 4088 cya tester from Taylor that has the Pull up indicator strip which which should be much easier to read, but uses more reagent. That's the tester that leslies uses. I just now pulled another sample ran the diluted test still no closer to reaching the scale.

Ok, lets go over a few things here, your test is showing CYA at something over 100 (dot disappears with very little solution in the view tube). You have had inconsistent results with pool store testing, with their readings being 100,100 and 40 (the 40 after you changed a small percentage of your water). It seems your own testing is showing the level over 100, and half the pool store tests are showing over 100, why are you convinced your reading is wrong and the 40 reading from Leslies is right? The turbidity CYA test needs to be done outside with the sun to your back and tube held at arms length to get a good reading, is this how you did it??

see this video for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs

Isaac-1 said:
Ok, lets go over a few things here, your test is showing CYA at something over 100 (dot disappears with very little solution in the view tube). You have had inconsistent results with pool store testing, with their readings being 100,100 and 40 (the 40 after you changed a small percentage of your water). It seems your own testing is showing the level over 100, and half the pool store tests are showing over 100, why are you convinced your reading is wrong and the 40 reading from Leslies is right? The turbidity CYA test needs to be donets outside with the sun to your back and tube held at arms length to get a good reading, is this how you did it??

see this video for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs
We haven't had any sun this week. Leslies is always done indoors. I don't understand how it could have gone down that much in Weeks time., but I had the same person run the test again today. Watching her precisely and ensuring she did the test exactly as the taylor tech said it needed to be done . It's basically the same reagent, everything I do except she uses 4088 tester rather than my stock k2006 tester. Hers had a Pull up dot indicator stick. As I said, I did the diluted sample test and is still below the indicator on the test vial. Basically saying its over 200. Same pool water, same reagent-- I'm stumped. Going to call Taylor tech again tomorrow.i watched the video earlier today it doesn't play anymore . I understand how to do the test. It just doesn't work. Unless-- my cya really IS well over200 meaning I'll probably have to drain over3/4 of my pool. I've owned the house for just over a year and had used trichlor tabs and dichlor shock. Both stabilized and both probably used as long as the pool's been in the ground (2005 msybe?)

It seems we are having some confusion here, You say you have not had any sun this week, and you seem to imply the test at Leslies used the CYA turbidity test, but did it indoors, it seems both yours and theirs were therefore both done under non optimal, but different lighting conditions resulting in questionable results, you then say when Leslies repeated the test again assuming under non-optimal lighting conditions, they got the same result they did the previous time. Is there something I am missing here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Isaac-1 said:
It seems we are having some confusion here, You say you have not had any sun this week, and you seem to imply the test at Leslies used the CYA turbidity test, but did it indoors, it seems both yours and theirs were therefore both done under non optimal, but different lighting conditions resulting in questionable results, you then say when Leslies repeated the test again assuming under non-optimal lighting conditions, they got the same result they did the previous time. Is there something I am missing here?
Yes, apparently you missed my last edit. And in my op, I mentioned another store did some other kind of cya test and it was 80.

There is a 50 ppm reference solution available for the CYA test. You mix it with the reagent as if it were pool water then view as normal.

Isaac-1 said:
There is a 50 ppm reference solution available for the CYA test. You mix it with the reagent as if it were pool water then view as normal.
Where would I find it so I can at least have some indication I'm doing this test correctly even if non optimal. And my Cya is REALLY way over 200 and I can resign myself that I will have drain over 3/4 of my water and basically start over from scratch.

stoney65 said:
Isaac-1 said:
Where would I find it so I can at least have some indication I'm doing this test correctly even if non optimal. And my Cya is REALLY way over 200 and I can resign myself that I will have drain over 3/4 of my water and basically start over from scratch.

http://tftestkits.net/R-7065-CYA-Standa ... n-p34.html

You mix it up with the R-0013 as if it were the sample, then practice your technique until you consistently get 50. For me, that's in full sun on the patio, turned so there's no reflection off the sample surface, hold at waist level with just thumb and forefinger. Wrapping with all fingers makes it too dark. Your mileage may vary.

TfTtestkits sells it, see the link in my signature

p.s. note you have about a 10-15 minute working life once the reagent is mixed with the solution or water.

One more thought it is important that the water be around room temperature when you do the CYA test, for some reason cold water effects it.

Richard320 said:
stoney65 said:
Isaac-1 said:
http://tftestkits.net/R-7065-CYA-Standard-Solution-p34.html

You mix it up with the R-0012 as if it were the sample, then practice your technique until you consistently get 50. For me, that's in full sun on the patio, turned so there's no reflection off the sample surface, hold at waist level with just thumb and forefinger. Wrapping with all fingers makes it too dark. Your mileage may vary.
A clickable link would be nice. What is r-0012?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.