New Intex build with ground questions

May 2, 2013
Hello, We just purchased the 18x52 ultra frame, and I am very excited, but nervous, too:) We really want to do this right the first time! I've read many threads, but still feel a bit overwhelmed. Here's some of my questions:
We are having a guy to come out to level our yard. Once he is done I'm confused as to what the best process is...
Do I put pavers down on top of this newly leveled dirt? or do I need to dig them down to be leveled with the dirt he just leveled?
I was planning on either using foam or sand on top of the dirt. If I chose foam how thick should it be, and do I put the foam over the pavers or up to them.
What size pavers work best? Or would plywood under the legs be better?
Thanks in advanced, and sorry for all the questions

IMHO:

Do I put pavers down on top of this newly leveled dirt? or do I need to dig them down to be leveled with the dirt he just leveled?
>> I would gently dig the pavers down into the ground so they are level.

I was planning on either using foam or sand on top of the dirt. If I chose foam how thick should it be, and do I put the foam over the pavers or up to them.
>>I think the thickness of the foam is personal and financial preference. I have sand and I strongly suggest the pre-made foam coping for the bottom edge of the interior walls.
PL9840B.JPG

What size pavers work best? Or would plywood under the legs be better?
>>I would use large "pavers", the need to be the thick pavers, not the thinner "cinder block" material. I have heard some bad things with plywood.

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not sure what foam coping is? This is an intex pool that I'm putting up. If I did the foam and leveled the pavers to the ground do I put the foam over the pavers as well...does that become a problem with the legs sitting on the foam?

kidaround said:
Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not sure what foam coping is? This is an intex pool that I'm putting up. If I did the foam and leveled the pavers to the ground do I put the foam over the pavers as well...does that become a problem with the legs sitting on the foam?

I'm certainly no expert and may be proven very wrong someday, but I just put up my second Intex on a sandy loam soil and I personally think the pavers are not that necessary. I'd put more emphasis on some XPS foam. You can go as thin as a 1/4" fan-fold product meant as underlayment for siding, which is what I chose for fiscal reasons, or you can go as thick as 2" which would be complete overkill, IMHO. Owens Corning, the pink people, does make a 3/4" 4'x8' product that is 25 psi, which should hold up anything without any worries of the feet penetrating it. I put down an old tarp, the pink foam and the new ground cover from Intex. I will admit, I do have some 6"x6" ceramic tiles I found for $0.29 each at the Habitat store under some of the feet for leveling, but a few of the feet are sitting just on the tarp/foam/tarp sandwich. I don't anticipate any problems, as we used to have our old Intex sitting just on the ground before.

Just my two cents worth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.