Help picking a timer!? & Can I bypass the aqua smarte !?!?

Jun 4, 2013
Minnesota
Hi All! Like a lot of you, I am brand new to the pool world! Hoping to love it soon! I have a 24ft round, above ground, apprx 13500 gallon, hayward 1hp single speed pump, swim pro sand filter... I am looking for some help in picking a timer!? Do they all have to be hard wired? Any advice will be helpful!

Oh... I also have an aqua smarte delivery system!? Everything I have read says its a waste of time and money... Can I just not use it and leave it where it is!? For now... I just bought a chlorine floater and the 3" pucks, will that work for now!?

Thanks!! Tina

Re: Help picking a timer!? & Can I bypass the aqua smarte !?

Welcome,

I have much the same setup, I dumped the aquasmart when I picked up the used pool. But the swimpro and pump are the same. For a timer use one of the Intermatics, they're good dependable devices. I just finished installing a T104 which is a 220v timer, but my pump is 110v so I had to do some wiring gymnastics. A T101 is a 110v timer, so just pick the voltage that matches your pump. The timers are hard wired, you can either wire the pump direct or wire in an outlet and plug in.

I have a cheaper Intermatic Digital that was on sale for $15 when I got it. I think they're about $40 now. It plugs in and has two switched outlets. When I first got it I was afraid it wasn't rated high enough for both my pump and SWG but it's been running both for over 2 seasons without a hitch.

Just google "Intermatic HB800RCL"

TinaJ718 said:
Hi All! Like a lot of you, I am brand new to the pool world! Hoping to love it soon! I have a 24ft round, above ground, apprx 13500 gallon, hayward 1hp single speed pump, swim pro sand filter... I am looking for some help in picking a timer!? Do they all have to be hard wired? Any advice will be helpful!

Oh... I also have an aqua smarte delivery system!? Everything I have read says its a waste of time and money... Can I just not use it and leave it where it is!? For now... I just bought a chlorine floater and the 3" pucks, will that work for now!?

Thanks!! Tina

I also use the Intermatic HB800 and it's worked for 4 seasons so far.

It's a bit of a challenge learning to program it.

Here's a short version from an Amazon review;

Secret 1: OK doesn't mean OK. It means cancel the setting I just finished programing. To keep the setting you have to push PROG after setting the minutes.

Secret 2: An event is not an on-off cycle. It is just one time setting. To get an on-off you need to program two events. If you program an on time for event 1 and then an off time for event 1 you will find that the on time is gone. You can do "on" settings and "off" settings in any order. The device just executes the change of state when that time is reached for that day.

Secret 3: You have to push the ON/OFF button when you plug it in the first time after programming it. After that it operates by itself.

Secret 4: Dusk and dawn settings override time settings. I didn't set any dusk or dawn events so I didn't figure out the details of this one but if your device isn't going on and off when you expected it to, check your dusk and dawn settings.

Thanks!! I am loving this site!! If I already have an outlet/110v near the pump/filter... I should be able to get the T101, plug it in and program it!? That would be great! (and easy!) Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.