New Liner

In my shopping around, I found most stores and on-line places were buying from the same or similar manufacturers and were shipping from the Pennsylvania area (IIRC)

I learned (the hard way) that YOU need to know what type of liner you need for YOUR pool. Relying upon the online sales person lead to huge time delays and incorrect liners and return shipping and restocking charges.

The biggest factors for me (in order of importance):

i have heard bead receivers fail and are a pain the butt to install, and they can fail. I also found out that when I received a liner that needed receivers, they cost more than the "cheap" liner I was looking to install. I had to pay shipping and restocking to return that liner.

If you need a "hopper/deep end" stretchable liner, you can't use a top border or a beaded liner. You need a Doughboy-brand liner and top clips. I added the DB comment as I have heard that only DB makes stretchable liners. This could be incorrect.

Late edit... the link above is not a recommendation for that company, they were simply a quick resource for the image I needed. I didn't buy from them.

techguy said:
In my shopping around, I found most stores and on-line places were buying from the same or similar manufacturers and were shipping from the Pennsylvania area (IIRC)

I learned (the hard way) that YOU need to know what type of liner you need for YOUR pool. Relying upon the online sales person lead to huge time delays and incorrect liners and return shipping and restocking charges.

The biggest factors for me (in order of importance):

i have heard bead receivers fail and are a pain the butt to install, and they can fail. I also found out that when I received a liner that needed receivers, they cost more than the "cheap" liner I was looking to install. I had to pay shipping and restocking to return that liner.

If you need a "hopper/deep end" stretchable liner, you can't use a top border or a beaded liner. You need a Doughboy-brand liner and top clips. I added the DB comment as I have heard that only DB makes stretchable liners. This could be incorrect.

Late edit... the link above is not a recommendation for that company, they were simply a quick resource for the image I needed. I didn't buy from them.

Thanks techguy!! I bought my house with the pool already up so what do you mean by "receivers"? Also, I guess I thought all walls would be the same height :oops: Looks like I have much to learn.

erivette said:
I bought a 25 gauge 30' round from nationalpoolwholesalers.com for 279 with free shipping and received it in 3-4 days. Already installed and love it! Great service from them.

Thanks Erivette!! I'll keep this site in my favorites!! That seems like a great price.. Our local pool store chargers $500 for the install only. Also, they charge $675 for a 25 gauge 30' around liner which I thought was CRAZY :hammer: I said, thanks but I'll shop on-line!!

The receiver is a plastic clip that goes over the wall and has a place for the liner bead to snap into.

For some of the liners, it has a "bead" on the top of the liner. The bead clicks into a receiver on the top edge of the wall. My understanding is the receiver allows you to change the liner without taking the top rail off the pool. But, the liner can pull out of the receiver.

techguy said:
The receiver is a plastic clip that goes over the wall and has a place for the liner bead to snap into.

For some of the liners, it has a "bead" on the top of the liner. The bead clicks into a receiver on the top edge of the wall. My understanding is the receiver allows you to change the liner without taking the top rail off the pool. But, the liner can pull out of the receiver.

Thanks Techguy!! I don't believe mine has recievers because my liner overlaps to the outside of the pool. Would that be a correct determination?

Yes bbecky. You have an overlap liner. You can always upgrade to the beaded and buy the track if you want. :-D

I bought my liner through PoolSupplyWorld when I bought my pool in March. I upgraded to the Portifino and can't wait to see it in the pool when I do my install in a few weeks. Here is a pic of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An overlap liner is typically much larger than the pool and it "overlaps" the wall and has long clips that hold the liner at the top of the wall. The extra liner can extend down the wall or be folded up to be near the top edge. I think it is normally stretched into the pool but putting the liner on the wall so the bottom of the pool is suspended off the ground and then wall is added and it stretches the base of the pool to the ground under the weight of the water. I think you need to go around the pool and let in liner when the tension is tight. Once the water gets the base of the pool filled and starts up the side walls is when the top edge of the liner is folded and clipped into it's final position... the top caps are added to the pool.

I will let a more more experienced builder confirm.

Mine is "j-hook" that hooks over the top wall. beaded liner can have "tile" or other borders. An overlaop liner will typically be one color or pattern all over. In this photo it is seen as the white edge below the grey top rail.
IMG_4941.JPG

This is what it looks like when I was working out the wrinkles when I changed liners. A wider top rail is added after the pool was filled
IMG_4836.JPG

Casey said:
Yes bbecky. You have an overlap liner. You can always upgrade to the beaded and buy the track if you want. :-D

I bought my liner through PoolSupplyWorld when I bought my pool in March. I upgraded to the Portifino and can't wait to see it in the pool when I do my install in a few weeks. Here is a pic of it.

A beaded liner may not need any track or clips outside of the pool's structural parts. My pool had the j-hook liner and that is all I needed to install it. The top cap that is part of the pool (about 1 inch wide, seen in the shot where I am removing wrinkles), some clips at the risers and then the top rail (with covers)

I was under that impression too when I purchased my liner from PSW. Then when I went to order, the guy rocked me and said I needed it when I actually didn't. The only thing the beaded track is good for is when you go to replace the liner, you don't have to remove the top rails. You can just snap it in.

Hence my comment that you need to be the educated buyer and not let the salesperson lead you astray. Some salespeople are great and know, others have no clue unless the computer screen tells them (or suggests an up-sell item).

A liner only sales company should know more than the online salesperson at a 80,000 SKU "mega warehouse". It's like buying a computer at Wal-Mart, you need to know what you want.

I had spoken to a woman first when I called about that liner and she said I didn't need the bead track when I specifically asked her if I did? Then she refered me on to this guy who took the order and he literally told me that she did not know what she was talking about when I told him she said I didn't need it. I told him that she said I could use that liner without buying a beaded track and he said NO YOU CAN'T! He told me I would have to chose a different liner if I didn't buy the track.

This will be the 4th above ground pool I've installed. I've only dealt with over lap liners in the past so this was a first for me considering I wanted that liner in my pool. That was a $72.00 lesson. :|

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.