How to fix this leaky pipe?

Apr 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yesterday I replace my pump. All seemed to go well until I noticed water pooling at the bottom of it.

Turns out the culprit is where the water leaves the pump to go to the filter. Where the PVC pipe screws into the pump, it's leaking.

I wrapped the threads in plumbers tape and tightened is much as I could, but it's definitely leaking.

Is there a way to fix that without having to saw off the PVC above it? I can't tighten anymore since it's sealed to the pipe above it.

And if I do have to replace it...how can I prevent it from leaking on the next one?

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 152
IMHO, a cut is required. You need to get that threaded joint tight enough to not leak. You could add a union to the pipe to allow you thread this pipe and make adjustments to it. A union would also allow you to remove the pump assembly in case you to have it serviced later.

I had the same problem when I had to replace some pipe. I could not get the connection tight enough with plumbers tape and some folks on here recommended thread sealant. That worked and it now does not leak. Some precautions I took were 1) make sure there was no debris in the threads like old melted teflon tape 2) cleaned pump threads with solvent. You can use any thread sealant they sell at the hardware store that is intended for PVC. Good luck, frustrating as heck. And I concur, you are going to have to cut.

btolley said:
I had the same problem when I had to replace some pipe. I could not get the connection tight enough with plumbers tape and some folks on here recommended thread sealant. That worked and it now does not leak. Some precautions I took were 1) make sure there was no debris in the threads like old melted teflon tape 2) cleaned pump threads with solvent. You can use any thread sealant they sell at the hardware store that is intended for PVC. Good luck, frustrating as heck. And I concur, you are going to have to cut.
If I use a sealant...won't that mean it's permanently threaded into the pump?

I normally use teflon tape but just read that "Teflon pipe sealant" can work better, especially on fittings larger than 1 inch.

Be sure to get on designed for use on PVC. Some sealants will degrade the pipe. I would not want to "glue" the threads permanently. If it were to leak, you would be really stuck.

That looks like a Hayward Super Pump, and I think that fitting on the pump is a straight pipe thread fitting designed to seal against an O-ring not a common tapered pipe connection.

Ike

p.s. I may be wrong on that, the hayward manual says to use teflon tape, I looked at my old Super Pump in the parts pile and it has a rubber gasket / O-ring at the bottom of that opening.

In construction of a plethora of water and vapor systems I can tell you! ALWAYS USE PIPE TAPE AND A PIPE DOPE! No exceptions! It's cheap, it's easy, and it works. Only thing to remember is the cure time on the pipe dope, respect the recommendation and double it if concerned about your connection. That's for threaded connections anyway..... Glueing? Always use primer, feel free to rough up the pipe a touch and use plenty of glue! If you don't want to see the glue then use the clear stuff, just make sure you use enough and buy the clear primer to soak a rag in to wipe off excess glue so it will look truly professional... BP, Chevron and conico always loved my primer and glue free joints, THAT NEVER LEAKED!

As you wrap the tape on from the front of the thread to the back of course, keep winding at the shoulder end to make in fact a grommet or washer then when you screw the fitting into the thread it makes a good seal , so use the tape wrap more on at the fittings shoulder until it makes a Teflon washer in fact plumbers do that all the time .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.