Mounting a Separate Pump and Filter

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
I will be purchasing a separate pump and filter, not a combo kit, so there will not be an integrated mounting base. How do I mount the pump and filter? I am assuming that there are bolt flanges on each piece and that they can just be bolted down to the pad, but pictures are unclear.

Do I have to have a poured concrete pad? Why can I not just use a pad made out of treated wood, which would be easier to bolt things on to?

The pump and filter are not usually bolted down, though pumps sometimes are. Concrete is a better choice. Treated wood doesn't always last as long as the pump and filter will, which is a disadvantage. The wood also needs to be rather strong to carry the weight of the filter.

bobnamy said:
Do I have to have a poured concrete pad? Why can I not just use a pad made out of treated wood, which would be easier to bolt things on to?

I have been told that the pre-fab concrete pads are all going toward the foam-core/concrete coating variety and that these have troubles with breaking in half.

My PB is using a pad made of recycled rubber (tires probably) that (so I'm told) will last for a long, long tine and can be bolted to. I'll let you know how heavy/stiff it is, as it should be going iin ina week or so.

Steve

I would not use the recycled rubber unless there is going to be a concrete pad underneath it. A filter, pump, and plumbing system is HEAVY when it is all full of water. I would be concerned that the rubber would sag over time and cause the PVC plumbing to crack. :(

I'm sure it works fine for the year that the PB warranty is in effect, but a pool should last a very long time, and so should the equipment pad. :)

I can see why you would not need to bolt down a filter due to the weight of the water and sand, but won't a pump have a tendancy to torque and twist upon start-up and stopping, especially when connected with flexible hoses? I assume it will not hurt the pump to be bolted down, as it appears that most pumps I have seen have visible mounting flanges attached to them. I think I will bolt down my pump unless there is a specific reason not too.

Ive never bolted down my pump, and its pretty powerful. The base that comes up the pump seems wide enough to offset any torquing that goes on (of which I feel very little, if any)

I picked up a concrete slab at a local masonry supply house. They had a few different "stock" sizes, I think I ended up with a 2'x4' for my pump and filter. Levelled off a spot of ground, dropped down the slab and put everything on top. I originally intended on drilling holes for the pump, but never have and its never been a problem (and thats with ridgid PVC running directly to the pump.......its never flexed or cracked, so doesnt seem like the pump absolutely has to be fastened down).

I don't have either of mine bolted down although both have holes for mounting. I'd be concerned that the bolts would couple the noise from the pump into the concrete. The pump doesn't jump when it starts, and the sch 40 pipe that is connected to it would take a bunch to work it loose.

Not Bolted down?!?!

Let me get a survey going and start writing down names. I will very soon be opening up a used pump and filter store so if any of you have yours stolen, you will know where to come buy a cheap (exact) replacement. HAHA!

Can't you just see someone cuttin the PVC and lugging those off?

It might happen.

I wish them luck, because I curse the 20' I end up carrying it every year to startup the pool. If they really want it enough to carry it 150' to the road (assuming they want to stay hidden enough to NOT drive a car right onto my property), they can have it.

Pump weighs a ton.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.