year 2 few questions about cloudy water

justin_huffman

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
hello TFP we've had an odd opening this year.... (whats new :lol: )

opened pool sunday to green color. winter cover blew off in march. got it back on a few days later but what can i do...

added what bleach i had on hand, also had some shock bags so ive used them up along the way. working with other levels as well baseds on the pool calc app. using BBB method sans a few bags of shock

6/2 Ph 6.4
6/3
8 am only checked shock level FC 20 added another bag at this time
5pm Ph 7.0 Alk 90 CYA 25 calcium 220 FC 19 CC 0

overnite the green turned to cloudy blue cannot see bottom
6/4
8am Ph 7.0 Alk 80 FC 14.5
2pm Ph 7.1 Alk 80 FC 17.5 starting to clear, barely see bottom
9 pm Ph 7.0Alk 80 FC 20.5 (anomoly i experienced last year, FC would rise even though i didnt put any new bleach in. i cano nly attribute it to adding drops too fast hence reducing the size of the drops)

no change overnite - running pump on low 24 hours a day cleaning filter (cartridge at least 2 times a day - filter quite clean no green just occasional grey color)

6/5 Ph 7.0 Alk 80 CYA 25 FC 16.5

I assume im on the right path, but expected the water to begin clearing by now. should i add DE to my cartridge filter? its brand new this year.

thanks TFP!!!

Never add DE to a cartridge filter. That is a handy trick for a sand filter, but can permanently damage a cartridge.

It sounds like you are on the right track. You should be seeing a visible improvement in the water every day, though it could be a couple more days before the water is completely cleared up. If you don't see any improvement from day to day then something is going wrong.

justin:

Sounds like you are on the right track. The cloudiness you are seeing is the remnants of dead algae and it may take several days for this to clear up. Keep running the filter 24/7 until it clears up. Also, check filter pressure and clean cartridges as needed.

Just wanted to report back, looking good! Water crystal clear
Here's my numbers

Ph 7.1 FC 16 alk 80 cya 35-40

I've added zero shock or any chlorine since
Tuesday. There's 2 little bits if puc in the skimmer that I had put in there
Sunday. I needed chlorine and CYA so using the pucs made sense. Passed the Overnite test 3 nites in a row. In fact the FC seems to be
Hovering on its own. It's been mostly cloudy and cool this week so can't be anything
Left to eat in the water. Thanks TFP!!

:goodjob: Given your current CYA, just let your FC drop to between 3 and 7 ppm and maintain that level going forward. Once FC drops below 10 ppm, you can retest pH and adjust if necessary. Probably would also retest CYA again due to any residual from pucks that are not in your current CYA results. If the new CYA results are higher than your current results, you may need to bump up your maintenance FC target according to the Chlorine / CYA Chart (link in my sig).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.