Anyone use a water level to install their pool?

The excavator is coming to dig my pool on June 14. One of my projects before he comes is to make a water level! I am going to make a couple of 5' clear tubes that will screw on to my 50' garden hose. This will give me a 5/8" diameter tube and the level should stabilize more quickly. I am going to use wooden yard sticks, stapled to a 2x4 instead of marking the 2x4. I will use zip ties, through drilled holes, to attach my clear tube to my 2x4. This setup should be plenty accurate for leveling a pool.

jer7440 said:
John T...I'm curious as to what is difficult about a water level. I haven't actually used one, but it seemed considerably cheaper to make one than to rent a laser for $75/day. I'm on a pretty tight budget here.....

Me too! I have everything except the clear hose!

jer7440 said:
John T...I'm curious as to what is difficult about a water level. I haven't actually used one, but it seemed considerably cheaper to make one than to rent a laser for $75/day. I'm on a pretty tight budget here.....

It's not difficult, but the laser is extremely easy to use.

I used one. Make sure that you check and double check your water in the hose everytime you move the hose. If you raise the loose end or lower it, the water will come out of the other end.
It's fairly simple.

I used three methods, a lazer to set the pavers, a 2x4 & level to level the ground in arcs off the pavers, and because I dug out for a partial burial and a deep center, I filled the hole with water and watch for high spots. I then siphoned off the water and let it dry for a couple of days. I'm within a 1/4" all the way around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is an old thread, but what size tube & length did you use?
To be honest, I don't recall what size tubing I used. I just went with something I could find readily and would be able to see clearly. I also added food coloring to the water to make it more visible. Nailed a few yard sticks to 2x4s and stapled the tubing to it at the same heights. Voila! Too easy.... hope this helps, sorry for the delay in respinse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

To be honest, I don't recall what size tubing I used. I just went with something I could find readily and would be able to see clearly. I also added food coloring to the water to make it more visible. Nailed a few yard sticks to 2x4s and stapled the tubing to it at the same heights. Voila! Too easy.... hope this helps, sorry for the delay in respinse.

NP about the delay, coincidently I just finally bought the tubing and yardsticks tonight, came home and saw your post. The lowest point for me is an outside edge so I think I'm going to stake one end down level to the ground then have the other end to move around to level. Digging starts tomorrow, depending on weather.

Your build post is my guideline, love your setup, if all goes well with the leveling and pool filling, I'm going to try and talk my way into a deck this summer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

NP about the delay, coincidently I just finally bought the tubing and yardsticks tonight, came home and saw your post. The lowest point for me is an outside edge so I think I'm going to stake one end down level to the ground then have the other end to move around to level. Digging starts tomorrow, depending on weather.

Your build post is my guideline, love your setup, if all goes well with the leveling and pool filling, I'm going to try and talk my way into a deck this summer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
That's awesome! Glad my thread was useful. Good luck on your project! A lot of work, but very rewarding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.