No pool experience, need some help.

Jun 5, 2013
Bought a new house. Pool went from slightly green when I put the contract in, to milky then clear when I closed 30 days later. On final walkthrough the previous owner was throwing out what appeared to be three tubs of shock. They left some boxes of pool tools and there's a canister of algaecide. Hardware all seems to be hayward, catridge filter, and a thing that says trichlor which I'm guessing is the chlorinator.

Three days later (today), I'm at the house doing some work, water is mildly milky and I have thousands of tadpoles. Was three days without power thanks to the power company missing an appointment so no filtration or circulation. We also had a huge rain which added about 4" to the water level, it's now nearly at the top of the tiles.

Ran through my taylor test kit when it was clear but no power and before the heavy rain, sample taken at arms depth in the shallow end. Results:

ph 7.6
FC .4ppm
CC 0 ppm
TA 150ppm
CH 1000ppm
CYA way off the scale. Couldn't see the dot and it was filled maybe a third of the way to 100

There is also yellow stuff on the bottom and sides, it brushes around, not sure if pollen or algae. Oh and thousands of tadpoles.

So I need some help. I get quite a bit of precipitation in some of the tests I'm guessing from the high CH. From what I've read here, my first step should be a massive water change to get the CA under control? Ya'll seem to know your business, so please show me the way!

my first step should be a massive water change to get the CA under control?
Welcome to the forum. :lol: Yes. Through a series of partial drain and refills, get your CYA (not CA) down to around 50 ppm and then post your test results again.

You have no appreciable chlorine in the pool so are likely to develop algae rather soon. Doing the drain/refill immediately might save you some chlorine combating the algae.

For no experience, it seems you sure are paying attention to something. Most "no experience" don't even have a kit to post numbers with. Great opening post, and you indeed have a situation. Looks like someone has been feeding a lot of cal-hypo, but you may have some CH in your fill water too. If you lived here, it would be a very tough spot with the lack of water and severe restrictions. Hopefully being there you have plenty to work with.

As Dave said, the faster you can change the water, the better. If not, the next thing will be a huge green mess. Welcome to TFP and do keep us posted.

Great first post! Welcome! :wave:

You've been reading, you have a test kit, you have understanding, and you have us to hold your hand. Piece o'cake.

You know what to do. Take pictures! Really! We love these green-to-clean stories. You have the added obstacle of CH and CYA buildup, so it will really make a thrilling adventure story to use as a reference for others. I mean, every step of the way: tadpoles and alligators, fishing that engine block out of the deep end, the pump/siphon, and each stage of the way from sludge pit to sparkling pool.

Thank, I'll definitely take some pictures.

Unfortunately, previous owner didn't mention much about the pool plumbing or works. There is a side skimmer and a floor drain in the pool. I'm guessing I put the blue rolled up tube thing on the open pvc end near the pump, open the valves and make sure water is coming out of the waste and that the pool returns are off. Couple questions though:

How to tell that I'm bypassing the filter?

Should I use floor drain or a hose in the skimmer and vac while i drain?

Ok, did a 75% water change, after some false starts exploding my waste drain vinyl hose trying to get in the sewer tap. How is that supposed to work anyways? I eventually ended up borrowing a 1.5hp submerisble and pumping it that way.

Anyways got my stats down to this:

Ph 7.8
FC 0
CYA 60 ppm
TA 62ppm
CH 136ppm

If I'm reading the process correctly, i should drop the pH to 7.3 or so, then maintain at 24 FC for a few days, running the pump 24/7, brushing and cleaning the filter until the I start hitting overnight FC drops of < 1ppm?

I'm loaded for bear with 10 gallons of 8% ready to go. The war shall be won soon!

Yes lowering your pH would be good. Do be cautious with it because it will be easy to do with a TA of 60. To be safe, you might add a touch less than the calculator says. You can always add more acid, but over shooting to the low side may put you on a roller coaster you don't need to ride right now.

That rolled up hose thingy is your backwash hose and it is meant to be used open ended...not to hold pressure. If it were me, and circumstances permitted, I would water the lawn and trees, etc with that water as much as possible. But then again, I live in the desert. :lol:

So yes, start shocking to 24 with the 8% if you haven't already and hold the FC there as best you can. Don't let up on it, and you will have this licked pretty soon with your enthusiasm and attitude. Any debris you can remove and keep out will be most helpful, as that stuff puts a bigger demand on your FC. Lastly, take note of your clean filter pressure and watch that and your return flow to be aware of when you need to clean the cart(s). Keep us posted and let us know how it's goin'. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
I've popped a backwash hose, myself. You'd think it would just inflate itself and untwist, wouldn't you? :mrgreen:

Oh, it definitely inflates, it's the unrolling part the engineers need to work on :hammer: Thing looked like looney toons when Bugs stepped on the garden hose.

8% bleach added this morning, cartridge gauge reads at 15psi. Will monitor on the hour to start for pressure increases and FC level. Photos coming today... full internet was delayed due to a tropical storm and some sub motivated cable personnel.

images!

What it started as
AkLYii9.jpg

What it turned into a few days later
8cnavvV.jpg

Draining in progress
DZGSszY.jpg

Now for a question..
RpR42Jm.jpg

Picture is of vent where air is being pulled in and the bubbles from the jet in the wall.

I have three return valves going from the filter back to the pool, total of 5 jets. 3 on the long skimmer side, and 2 on the short side on a sit on ledge. I know that all worked properly because they were on at the closing.

After draining, the three skimmer side jets (2 controlled by one valve, the one closest to the skimmer by another) came back up once filled with no issues. The third valve when opened blew water up the (I'm guessing it's called) vent hole, and of the two jets one has no flow and no noise in it's vent and the other one is sucking air down the vent and blowing air into the pool. Putting a garden hose on the vent will get the air to stop.

Question is, how to get these jets back online?

AEA3zRx.jpg

Picture from this morning! Water is crystal clear, CC is < .5ppm, overnight FC loss was < 1ppm. I also bumped the FC up to mustard shock level for 24 hours and did that process since I wasn't sure what the previous owner had dealt with.

So now we're at...
FC: 15
TA: 160

My currently thought is to let the FC fall to 7 or 6, adjust ph to around 7.2 and turn on the bubblers to slows start lowering TA.

I have a floating gator that I'm anxiously waiting to ride around the pool and I feel I'm oh so close!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.