correct or incorrect?

Sep 3, 2012
Ramsey, NJ
Hi,

My pool builder replaced the coping on my pool with stone but put tile on the side where the pool cover is. Now, when i swim, water empties into the cover recess. I spoke with the builder and he told me that the tile is on the same level as where the coping was, and that I need to top up the pool with water from the hose when the water level falls.

The builder has almost finished with the pool. Has he done the tile correctly? What options are out there to prevent the water from flowing out like that?

Thanks!

Nikolay

Attachments

• after-s.jpg
    after-s.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 252
  • before-s.jpg
    before-s.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 252
Are you keeping the water level at the same spot, before and after? Seems like the only difference from the pictures is that with the tile there is a more gradual slope, vs the hard edge of the old coping. New coiling looks like concrete....

From what I can see in the pictures the old coping was tight to the track at the water line, while the new tile surface is well below the track at the water line, sloping up gradually towards the track in a way that encourages water to go over the wall. The old coping also appears to extend out a little over the wall, which would have helped prevent splash over.

Seems to me, as I understand autocovers, the original water level should be respected, that level is what was used to calculate the extra slack in the cover material. So if you raise water level no problem, but if you lower it their could be issues, because that was accounted for in cover measurements.

Most I've seen here and including mine look like your second picture. It's hard to see that the water level is different between pic 1 & 2. When just one or two people swim almost no water is lost unless you jump in and make waves, when there is a lot of action / people you can count on losing water into the cover vault, there is nothing you can do. I kind of like the original design with the lip as it seems like it would minimize the splash out but I don't think anyone does it like that now. Overall my guess is approx 1000 gal lost each time I have a large gathering, but when it's just me nearly nothing.

One thing that is a little different, when my cover is retracted the front bar isn't as far back as yours, at the most I see only the first row of tiles. Even though it doesn't "seal" I think it helps somewhat to keep the water out of the vault, once you have more people / waves water will go in under the bar no matter what.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What brand covers are ya'lls? My setup is nothing like that. My cover rolled up is on top of the pool wall, the pool wall by the pit is the same as it is all around the pool. Meaning i have 5-6" of wall above water level, and then the end of the pool cover on top of that. I don't get any (or not measurable) water in my pit from swimming.

Sorry i don't have any suggestions. I guess it has that slope to prevent wear and tear on underneath side of the liner.

Best picture i have.....

Mine is from "cover pools". I like your design, I didn't really look around and just got what they gave me when the pool was built, all I asked for was an "auto cover". I wasnt smart enough to join here 1st and learn some things before quoting. Overall I'm happy but there could have been a few improvements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.