Bleach Dilution Question

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So I really did try searching, but too many posts to dig through, so hopefully this is a easy YES :)

I am going to be using Chlorine (bleach) via Stenner Pump for my pool.

Since lower concentrations have longer life in sun, can I just buy 12.5% (can get a good deal locally) and dilute it 50% to get approximately 6% solution. I will then load my 15 GAL tank with 6% and dose accordingly.

I am fairly certain the answer is yes, just looking to verify.

Also, IF I AM OCD and most likely I will go through 15 GAL of 12.5% long before is starts to weaken, yell at me as well.

Thanks again in advance.

Dilution is not generally a good idea. The water in bleach is specially filtered to remove low level contaminates that can shorten it's self life. Tap water does not have equivalent filtering and could significantly shorten the shelf life (or not depending).

toofast said:
So I really did try searching, but too many posts to dig through, so hopefully this is a easy YES :)

I am going to be using Chlorine (bleach) via Stenner Pump for my pool.

Since lower concentrations have longer life in sun, can I just buy 12.5% (can get a good deal locally) and dilute it 50% to get approximately 6% solution. I will then load my 15 GAL tank with 6% and dose accordingly.

I am fairly certain the answer is yes, just looking to verify.

Also, IF I AM OCD and most likely I will go through 15 GAL of 12.5% long before is starts to weaken, yell at me as well.

Thanks again in advance.
Here's an idea: buy an ice chest to use as your chlorine tank. Then it's insulated.

Wow, so glad I asked this question...

I am using the Stenner tank, which is UV Resistant...I will also do my best to build in some shade.

Thanks gang for the quick responses.

So - final question then....if I can get 6% and 12.5% at the same relevant cost (meaning once adjusted for strength etc) it seems like it would make sense for me to use 6% in the Injection system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.