Thought I had defeated mustard algae...

dobber

LifeTime Supporter
I thought I had cleared up my mustard algae last week with "yellow treat" from united chemical company and liquid chorine, but I only used 3 gallons of liquid chlorine and then it rained another 5 inches and ended up pumping water out of my pool. Currently my pool is sparkling clear, pool looks great, but cannot maintain any chlorine.

Pool tests as of today:
FC-0.0
TC-0.1
CC-0.1
PH-7.7
HD-280
TA-121
CYA-130

No obvious signs of mustard algae that I can see, but something is gobbling up my chlorine. CYA is high because I placed several 3in chlorine tablets in skimmers to try and get chlorine in pool!
My plan is to lower the CYA and then hit the water with "yellow treat" and really superchlorinate according to your chart. Anything else that I am overlooking? This is my 7th summer with this pool and about 35th around a pool (my parents) and I have never had this kind of trouble before.

I'm "bumfuzzled"!

dobber

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

dobber said:
My plan is to lower the CYA and then hit the water with "yellow treat" and really superchlorinate according to your chart. Anything else that I am overlooking?

Lowering the CYA is the correct first step.
Forget the Yellow Treat
Follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS and then read this: pool-school/mustard_algae

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can follow the shock process correctly?

Chlorine and Algae...HELP

Merged your threads. Let's keep all info concerning clearing the pool in this thread. Also, please do not hijack another poster's thread :wink: Thanks, Butterfly

Mr. Mustard Algae reporting back in......

My TF 100 pool test kit arrived and I started the shock process 2 days ago. Followed the directions in the Shock Process link. The water cleared up in 24 hours and with a CYA reading of 90, I kept the FC around 35-45 per the shock process initial instructions. The CYA has dropped to 60-70 and I have since increased the FC to 45-55 per the chart for mustard algae. The CC reading went from 1.5 to a steady .5-1 every test. Did my first OCLT last night and FC dropped 4ppm. Filter is running 24/7 and brushing the pool daily. Have gone through 20 gallons of liquid chlorine and my question is this:

Just keep doing what I'm doing?

thank you,

Dobber

I lowered and refilled 3 or 4 times over the course of a week.

2 follow up questions for the experts:

When in this shock process, I am assuming that there should be no swimming allowed?

The pool store sells liquid chlorine 12% for under $4 gallon. The store uptown sells bleach 5.25% for $2.50. Is one way better than the other?

thanks again,

dobber

dobber said:
The pool store sells liquid chlorine 12% for under $4 gallon. The store uptown sells bleach 5.25% for $2.50. Is one way better than the other?
At that price, the pool store chlorine is better.

1 gallon of 12% is, roughly, the equivalent of 2 gallons of 5.25%.

Of course, $4 is better than $5. Over time, those $1's will add up!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure, why, but Richards # are off ... or I guess he is using different units:

$4 for gallon of 12% = $0.26 per ppm FC
$2.50 for gallon (is it really a gallon???) of 5.25% = $0.37 per ppm FC

There are usually better deals out there than either of these ... look for a pool store that has refillable jugs for the 12% those seem to be the best deal.

Or at Lowes / Home Depot / Walmart you can find 2 gallons of 10% for < $7 ... although the 12% price you posted is better than that.

In regards to the CYA dropping, wouldn't 90 degrees with all day sun lower CYA a bit? Perhaps I am a little optimistic with my CYA drop test skills. I drop the sample in the tube until the black dot is completely gone. If I can faintly see it, I'm still "squeezin' drops". I know the instructions said it was a bit "subjective".

I shall keep "carpet bombing" the algae with chlorine.

dobber

On Thursday I had to be away from the pool all day. Plus I ran out of liquid chlorine. I work 3rd shift and before leaving for work, my test showed FC had dropped to 10.

Does this mean that I must start the shock process all over again? Or can I pick up on Friday morning where I left off?
While in the shock process, the goal is to never let the FC drop below what the chart says, is that correct?

This mustard algae is taking it's toll mentally and financially...

dobber

Your not really starting it all over, but you were inefficient when the FC dropped that low. The idea is to keep the FC at (or maybe slightly above if you have to be away from the pool) your shocking level the overwhelming majority of the time. I would just get your FC back up to 23 ppm, unless you are ready to bite the bullet and lower cya a little more (get it down to 70 ppm would be my recommendation since you have a swg).

As for Mustard algae shock level, do that after you pass the OCLT at normal FC levels. Re-read this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/mustard_algae

What would you do differently between picking up where you left off and starting over?

You do the best you can and maintain the FC at shock level as consistently as you can. The more so, the shorter the process.

Working on round 2 and looking for some feedback please...

Started the shock process again on Saturday 6/15 at 3:30pm.
FC 0, CYA 70, PH 70, TA 170.

Purchased 40 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) and proceeded to shock FC level to 44. I have monitored the pool every 2 hours and maintained a FC level between 37-50. It is now Sunday 6/16 and my FC is maintaining about 50 with me adding .5 gallon of chlorine between the 2 hour monitoring window. My CC stays at 1, sometimes close to .5, but usually takes 2 drops to make it really clear, so I call it 1. I vacuumed, backwashed, and brushed yesterday and will do the same today.

I see starting today a black or brown sludge building up on the inside back of my skimmer just above the water line. I assume this is my culprit that I am slowly killing?

Oh wise ones, is there anything I'm not doing, or doing wrong? Am I to just "keep on keeping on"? I have learned so much from this site, thank you for your help.

dobber

PS With the weather getting hotter, the "patrons of my backyard resort" are getting a little impatient with their poolboy and his new chemistry set! They just want to get wet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.