Greetings from NH

May 23, 2013
Rochester, NH
Hello there

We have a 16x32 inground vinyl liner. 20,000 gallon. It's got a Foxxx sand filter 3 cu ft. Filter rate 47 to 63 GPM. The pump is a Hayward superpump. 1 hp.

My water test revealed today:
Alkalinity 130
Calcium 310
Ph 7.5
Chlorine 2.5
We opened 2 1/2 weeks ago. Deep end is murky. Low end is clear but milky. This is our third season with a pool. The house was a foreclosure and had no information of history of the pool.
The other 2 seasons the pool was crystal clear in a week.
We don't know what else to try. Shocked,I have vacuumed many times. We did a clarifier. My husband just purchased a sand filter enhancer. What are we missing here?
Thank you TFP
TYFFANY IN FRUSTRATED POOL OWNER IN NH

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

tyffany&james said:
What are we missing here?

Well likely you are missing how to properly perform the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS that we teach.

Also, you did not post your stabilizer level (CYA) which is critical to determining the amount of FC you should be maintaining in the shock process.

Are you using one of the Recommended Test Kits?

Hi. I'm in NH too, seacoast area.

Our pool season is too short to waste it with cloudy water. I found this site during our pool build and I have followed the advice since then, 2008. It really works. I recently had our water tested at POol Builders store and lady said that she had never seen such perfect water this early in the season.

The pool maintenance methods may seem confusing at first, but if you stick with it it becomes very easy. And CHEAP. Do what these guys tell you to do and you will understand your pool and be happy. The fix may not be fast, but it will work and then you will have few problems in the future. And when you do have a problem you will know how to fix it quickly.

Depends what your full test results are ... which you can not reliably and repeatably get from a pool store.

Order a test kit ... Dave (owner of the forum and tftestkits.net) would get it to you in a few days.

Welcome! :wave:
tyffany&james said:
Thanks Jason,
They did not test for CYA but I will have it checked tomorrow. Just clicked on the shock process link. You are right we did not shock properly. Where do we start now that we began wrong?
You start with trustworthy test results. Bluntly: your own test kit. Free testing at the pool store is worth every penny you pay for it.

With accurate readings and the ability to test often for corrections, you could be enjoying your sparkling pool by the weekend. Sadly, very few pool stores sell the K-2006 test kit. They will gladly sell you a K-2005 test kit and assure you it is the same, but it isn't. If they have one in stock (the secret ingredient is the FAS-DPD test, a dry powder, not a liquid), snap it up and get going.

Otherwise: http://tftestkits.net. Get a TF100 with the XL option since you will be performing the shock process. I also heartily endorse the speedstir.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.