Through wall skimmer basket??????????

edavis

Jun 19, 2012
Hello I recently added the widemouth through the wall skimmer from Hydropools. I am curiuos what everyone else is doing for catching the debri in the basket. One problem is the basket only catches large debri and the rest of it just goes through the pump which doesn't seem good to me another when pumps not running then all the debri that it does catch just floats back into the pool. Also what is being done to catch the dirt in the strainer when you run the pool cleaner to keep from having to back wash so much the original over the wall skimmer would catch alot more fine particals since it had a fabric bag and it all stayed inside the skimmer which seemed better.

edavis said:
I am curiuos what everyone else is doing for catching the debri in the basket.
There are skimmer basket socks sold, but many on here use a large ladies knee high stocking.

How often are you having to backwash? Are you sure there is not a low level algae problem...I would think that is more likely then "big stuff" plugging your filter.

Well I guess I didn't state that correctly I am assuming since alot more debri will be getting through everything into the sand filter that I will have to backwash more often. I have only had this skimmer setup for two weeks. I tried the knee high thing and it did catch alot but still have the issue that awhen the pump goes off everything in the basket just starts floating out of basket/skimmer back into pool

I'm guessing this skimmer doesn't have a weir/door on the opening that closes when the pump is off which is why the gunk floats back out when the pump is off?? If that's the case then I'm not quite sure what to suggest as I do not know what a solution would be off the top of my head. Some one surely will have some idea.

Yes I am talking about the one in the skimmer. It does have a weir/door that moves back and forth but it does not seal just a hard flapper that can move from inside the bskimmer to outside into the pool.

I will look at it closer but I know it does swing both ways. When we tried the knee high thing we first put it around the basket but found that it sucked into the pump strainer so we moved it to the inside of skimmer basket and of course it it was not much of a basket just kinda stretched over the basket opening any suggestions on how that trick is supposed to actually be to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will look at mine tonight...it may have something to do with it being a widemouth with a very short throat. With that said, I am not on a timer, so just before I turn off the pump I always check/empty the basket...I could see this being a problem with a timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.