FC Help, Baq to BBB Convert

FUBAR

May 29, 2013
Charleston, WV
Here's the deal...I put my pool up ~2wks ago and filled (all 9,400gal) with city water. After a few days I went to my local pool store with plans to do the same chlorine regimen. They were closed so I went to the next closest store where they 'hooked' me on Baqucil. With instructions I went home and added 1gal Oxidizer, 7oz Algicide. Next day added one bottle (64oz I believe) of Sanitizer. Pool water surface stayed foamy. Tested a week later and found it needed a lot more Baq (EXPENSIVE!!!) chemicals to it. Remembering the 'BBB' method from surfing the web, I decided to research and do it.

Per the Baq to BBB conversion thread I did the following: Added 219oz of 8% Bleach to shock FC to 15ppm. pH was 7.5 at this time. Frequently checking FC w/ TF-100 pool test kit (powder and basic test,) FC was NOT registering. Added 37oz 8% Bleach..nothing within a few hours. Added 64oz 8% bleach...it's been 24hours and FC is still not even registering!!!

Here's the numbers:

FC:0
CC:15
pH:7.5
TA:70
CH: this can go two ways..Assuming I have copper in my water (which I don't technically know) I added 2 drops of R-0012 prior to adding R-0011L I got a reading of: 0 If I did not add the two drops of R-0012 prior I got a outrageous reading of 1400
CYA:0
Pool Temp:79*F

Pool as not been covered. I'm at a total loss as what to do just to get started by achieving a 15ppm of FC. Then I can finally get onto the other things. I have kids that are chomping at the bit to swim so they as well as I will appreciate any help! Thanks,

My Setup:

My DIY Solar Rig:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

You are registering very high CC, you have to just continue to keep adding bleach until the CC drops and the FC registers.

That is going to be one expensive trip to the pool store :shock:

BTW, that is one of the nicer DIY solar setups I have seen, although forcing the water through that small single pipe is not as efficient as if you had multiple pipes in parallel.

No I meant your first trip that got the Baqua into the water in the first place ... that mistake is going to cost you a lot of money.

Honestly, you might almost be better off draining that out of the water and refilling ... depending on your water source.

You can certainly get this fixed up with bleach ... likely for less money than replacing the water ... it will just take more work and more time.

Just keep adding bleach. Have you priced out the cheapest source? I am using the Walmart 10% pool chlorine that ends up being a little cheaper per ppm of FC than the Walmart 8.25% laundry bleach. There is a pool store that sells bulk 12.5% for cheaper, but it is across town for me and likely my fuel cost would not make it worth it.

Good deal. I actually just left Dollar General after reading the good feedback on here with people using the 8% stuff. It was on sale and I just about cleaned them out! My hopes is to keep grinding away at it and if nothing else keep checking CC if FC still doesn't register initially. At first CC was so high I quit trying to check it for the fact of wasting sample drops. At least now I get a reading..

Your FC will be consumed very quickly the first day or two. Test hourly and re-dose to 15FC. Without seeing your numbers I too would suggest a quick look at cost of a drain. Maybe cheaper in the long run.

Alright..added 188oz 8% bleach and 128oz 6% bleach @ 7:00pm
Tested @ 7:30pm TC:1 CC:9 pH:7.8 TC is now registering and CC dropped from 15 to 9, pH rose from 7.5 to 7.8 as expected due to high TA levels.
Added 64oz 8% bleach and 128oz 6% bleach @ 7:30pm
Tested @ 8:30pm TC:1 (no change) CC:5 (down from 9) pH: 8.0 (up from 7.8)

Pool is now turning to a greenish yellow color and foaming a bit at the surface. Pump pressure went up a bit after the last dose of bleach so I backwashed. I guess there's hope!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Woot woot! I'm off to Wally World to grab me some bleach! I'll probably need a HAZMAT endorsement on my Class A's just to get it all home! You should've seen the look on the guy in line and cashier at Dollar General a moment ago when I plopped all those bleach bottles down!! LOLOL

@ 10:00PM last night I added 384oz 8% bleach
Tested @ 5:30AM this morning: TC:10.5 (up from 1) CC:4 (down from 5) pH:8.2+ (up from 8)
Today @ 6:00AM I added 128oz of 8% bleach and backwashed the filter again.

A few ?'s... One: Will the yellowish/green color go away or be able to be cleared up with something? Not sure if this is the color from all the bleach I've added or chemical reactions in the water.

Two: Should I do something to get pH in check right now?

Three: What reasonable value for CC should I have now and after I am done?

Thanks,
vabe7ege.jpg

1. You're color will return to blue soon. What you see is a reaction from mixing bleach with Baquacil causing more or less an algae out brake. It will clear up.

2. I wouldn't worry about PH or CC tests for now

3. I wouldn't worry about CC for now. Just wasting reagents. When the water starts to clear up more and you're holding more chlorine overnight, then test for CC's but until then don't worry. Once finished you should have a 0 CC level.

Update. Hopefully this thread will help some poor sap like me in the future that has a bunch a BaquaCrap in their pool..

Tested @ 7:00PM TC:0 (down from 10.5) CC:1 (down from 4) pH 7.2. (down from 8.2+)
Pool water is crystal clear! I'm thinking the point I'm at now is I've flushed most of the Baqua chemicals and nasty stuff that bred in there out and I'm starting with a clean slate...maybe, I don't know. I will note that a brief rain storm just past through here prior to testing so I don't know if that had an effect on pH. I'm not worried about pH or CC at this point, I'm just a novice and am trying to learn why the pH went back down..I'm just glad it did if anything I guess.

So @ 7:30PM I backwashed and poured in 219oz 8% bleach per the pool calculator for a target of 15ppm and we'll see what happens now that I've got the water going my way...
yhahadup.jpg

Test and raise the FC level to 15 right before bed tonight.... Then again 1st thing in the morning. See how many FC's you lose overnight. If its 1or less you're ready for the next step.

Yep yep, already did. @ 9:00PM FC was 13. I poured in the rest of the gallon jug (37oz) of 8% bleach which by the calculator should raise it to 15.5 ppm. That is my plan to test and adjust in the morning. Appreciate all the help and feedback guys! Couldn't do it without the fine people on here.

Update:
06/06/13
5:30AM TC: 12.5
6:00AM added 37oz 8% bleach
8:45PM TC:0.5
9:00PM added 219oz 8% bleach
10:00PM TC:15

06/07/13
6:00AM TC: 15, CC:0.5, pH 8.2, TA:90, CYA:0

So now it's time move on getting this puppy started!! I just wish I could find the time to!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.