Pump automatic safety shutdown?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
This might go better in Everything Else, but it is directly pump related so I thought I would ask here. After my second strange plumbing accident this month where I could have lost water out of my pool and cause the pump to run dry, I have started wondering if I should consider some type of low flow / pressure / level safety shutdown system for my pump, and if any such thing exists on the market. So do you have or know of such a thing?

Ike

p.s. In case your wondering about the incidents, the first was during a storm in the middle of the night where a limb fell and hit the lever on the drain valve for my pool solar panels opening it causing water to gush onto the ground (lever is now wired into the closed position). The second was last night where the nylon fitting that my Chlorine injection pump uses to put chlorine into the pool plumbing spontaneously sheered off at the threads, I don't know if it was over torqued, fatigue from the injection pulses, or just a manufacturing fault, but I had a fountain in my pump room this morning. I am guessing it happened just before I caught it, perhaps when the solar controller turned the pump to high for the solar heater, either way I caught it soon enough that there was no detectable water drop in the pool..

Some variable speed pumps have prime protection built-in. Some automation systems, when used with a corresponding SWG, provide prime protection. And an occasional SWG also offers prime protection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.