Ttrying to prepare the ground before we get the pool

Jun 4, 2013
We are purchaseing the ultra intex pool 18 x 48 and trying to prepare the ground before we get the pool, im ready to put the flat pavers down for the pool legs and unsure how far apart they should be. I was hopeing to have it ready by friday when my pool gets here . Can anyone help with an answer ?

I can tell you from experience that it isn't easy to do that. The pool isn't perfectly round (its close, but not perfect.) My recommendation to you is to spend your time getting the ground as absolutely flat as possible. ALWAYS find the lowest point, and remove earth to lower the high points. Use a water level, this will make it very simple. (do a youtube search on water level if you want to see how to make/use one.)

When the pool gets there, put down your liner pad, then set the pool up. Add a small amount of water (3-4 inches or so) and make sure its level. Flatten out the liner completely. The pool will be stable but the legs still movable. install your pavers now. make sure the legs are slightly inside of the center of the paver, because as the pool fills up with water the legs will push out an inch or two.

24x52 ultra frame, pentaire dynamo pump sand dollar filter ( when pump motor gets fixed) auto vac...right now running the 2500 size b cartridge sys

I took the e asy route hired a landscaper to level mine and im right on money thought we were off when first starting filling but once water pushed out sides we were less then 1/3 off. He leveled then added 1/2 sand for soft base then placed 5 ml thick plastic ( kind of ones use a drop clothes for painting the clear plastic but 5ml thick) glued seams laid down 2 sheets and we placed blue ground cover. Its level, protected from weeds and all rocks gone bottom feels great cost us 40 in supplies 100 in labor. Any local landscaper can do it. We plan to surround outer pol with turf grass since live in az land of the dust bowl. Without the turf just mud from kids splashing.. have pavers placed on turf grass every few feet and solar lights will go around that. Placing gazeboo with screen and canvas curtains for changing area for kids and two lg 11 ft tilting umbrellas one over filter side to shade that other over other half of pool its 110-115 here everyday since two ir three weeks ago and will not see double numbers again till sept.ill post pics when done. We r arguing rocks vs. Turf grass i wants rocks with pavers he wants turf grass well see who wins lol

Pretty much no way to get the pavers in position before the pool frame is assembled. Like atitus said, set the pool up and put a small amount 3-4" of water, then have some lift the leg up (or built a 2"x4" board type lift) so you can position the paver and dig out under the leg so paver is level with pool bottom.

Thank you for all the tips , i had a 15 x 36 for the last 3 years and this year i wanted to upgrade some . But the pool has been unlevel every year . I want it done right this time . So far i have dug up by hand and shovel all the ground area from previous pool and a little bigger . Iv dug a 20' circle and went to the lowest point and made the entire circle that low. So there so far is no sand only earths hard ground . After reading yalls post i went today and got the pool . I think we will attempt to assemble the frame tomorrow and see how it goes .

KeriAnne said:
Thank you for all the tips , i had a 15 x 36 for the last 3 years and this year i wanted to upgrade some . But the pool has been unlevel every year . I want it done right this time . So far i have dug up by hand and shovel all the ground area from previous pool and a little bigger . Iv dug a 20' circle and went to the lowest point and made the entire circle that low. So there so far is no sand only earths hard ground . After reading yalls post i went today and got the pool . I think we will attempt to assemble the frame tomorrow and see how it goes .

Good Luck! Keep us updated on your progress :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1380ken said:
Looks flat. Do you have to have a fence around your pool in your area?

Just remember, it can be flat and still not be level, and that will be a problem. You need within 1 inch of level all the way around. I got mine within 1/2 inch of level using nothing but hand tools and a water level, and it wasn't that difficult. (labor intensive, for sure.) I got the pavers sunk within 1/8th inch of level all the way around, with little effort. The water level makes that possible. There are a number of videos on you tube explaining how to make and use them.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Xqlh5VoKo

Not to be difficult but stick with that board and level taped to it (so long as the board is straight).
I used the same thing with my own pool and got it under 1" level, don't go chasing different techniques part way thru, stick with what you started with because it will work fine.

Check out my signature for my install pics, the only thing your missing is stake pounded into the center of the pool site so you can rotate that board around on it.

Hard to see but i have a small stick in the center to mark it . As far as a fence , our town requires a fence if were deeper than the pool were installing . Today i will be installing my pavers .

Oh my its been a long hot day ! Because i dont have access to a machine to pack the ground , we have been riding our riding lawnmower over the area to help pack it down . We are now installing our pavers . Leveling each paver with the one before it . I pray this pool is right when were done . If you guys see anything im missin please help !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 179

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.