Municipal water & CH

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
I'm in the process of filling our pool with water from a municipal water source and it looks good so far. I decided to test the pH to see where I'd be and it came out 7.5. Just right. I also decided, out of curiosity, to test for CH. Not a critical factor, as it's a vinyl Intex pool and I plan to use the BBB method, but I do have some CalHypo left over from last season and I was curious about using it and the risk of raising my CH. Well, after using the CH test from my TFTest kit, I finally got some blueish water after close to 50 drops. Is it possible that my water source is in the 500 ppm range? That seems very high to me. I hope I was testing properly. Any thoughts?

If your city gets most of it's water from wells, you might call them, then it is possible to have that high of a CH level. My fill water is over 300 ppm and some of water is surface water so the wells could be much higher.

Very possible, yes. And the CH of municipal water can and does vary throughout the year, depending on the various sources that your city gets its water from. It isn't always from the same lake or impoundment. Sometimes, there are 3 or 4 different ones that they use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.