CYA levels vs chlorine utilization

May 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
I seem to be using a lot of chlorine. The pool has been shocked, stabilized, and my readings are:

CYA - 50
pH - 7.6
CA - 270
Tot AL - 70
pool volume - 18,500 gal (in ground plaster)
Taylor K-2006 test kit

Every evening I run the chlorine to 5 ppm. By the next afternoon I am down to 2.5 ppm. I am using about 70 oz of 8.25% bleach every day. That will run me about $50/month, quite a bit more $$ than when I was using pool store trichlor or dichlor pucks (if you ignore the cost of changing out the water every so often).

If I increase the CYA to, say, 70, theory says I will use less chlorine but I will have to go to 5 ppm chlorine to have the same oxidation effect. So, here is my question. Will I really save on chlorine? I'm losing about 50% per day now. What percent will I lose by going to a CYA level of 70? That will allow me to calculate what any savings might be.

You may have something growing in the pool because you're letting the FC get too low. With CYA at 50, your absolute min hard floor for FC is 4. If you let it get below that you're asking for trouble. You should dose to 7 or 8 and replenish when it gets to 4 or 5. May want to take the chlorine up a bit and run an OCLT to make sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.