PLEASE HELP! Chemicals seemingly out of whack-love this site

Jun 4, 2013
Hi all! I'm a single mom and bought the following for my 5 year old- bit off more than I could chew. :shock:

Have Intex 15x48 ft Above ground metal frame w/ roughly 4440 gal, krystal clear filter pump @ 1000 gph, and a krystal clear sws.

I set the pool up Friday, 5 days as of now. It's been crystal clear the entire time. No smells, etc.

When I first took readings (after all this, I really don't have money for a good test yet, so I'm using what came with it and what my cousin gave me) they were as below...

2nd day readings-
Copper PPM strip- 0
Intex 3 way strips- FC- 0
PH- 8.4+ (very high)
TA- 40 (low)
Drops test- CL BR- clear (no reading)
PH- dark red (high)

Now that I'm more informed and know what everything is thanks to this board...I added one gal of bleach to the return over yesterday's time and this is what I got this morning. (taking water at least 12 inches away from side and 12 inches deep)

Copper PPM strip- 0.1 (says ok)
Intex 3 way strip- FC-5 (ok for spa, but high for SWS pool?)
PH- 7.2 (says ok, midrange)
TA- 180 (still wet) 240 (completely dry)
Drops test- CL BR- bright yellow...(looks to be between 2-4
PH- 7.2-7.5

What do you think? What should I do about the high chlorine and and TA, if anything?
Until I get the decent test kits, do I wait until the 3 way test strip is completely dry to read...because the readings are vastly different.

Thank you so much!! I'm so grateful that I found your site...I couldn't have done any of it without all of you and I was having some serious anxiety!! :)

Re: PLEASE HELP! Chemicals seemingly out of whack-love this

Welcome to TFP.

You really can't trust the strips but if they're in the ballpark things don't look too bad.
The important thing is to keep some FC in there.
I wouldn't worry too much about the TA. Just adjust the pH when it needs it.

The best thing you can do is to get the HTH 6-way drop based kit if you can find it.

How have you been chlorinating the pool up till now?

So it's okay that my FC is registering 5 currently? I literally just received my floating chlorine holder in the mail. Otherwise, the only chlorine I've added is a gal of bleach yesterday and whatever the SWS is doing.

I will get that test asap and I'll adjust PH as necessary...if it's high, what is your recommended solution? I know borax to raise...but that wouldn't be for my case.

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I am very grateful!! :)

Have you had your salt tested?
How many bags did you put in when you installed the swg?

You need acid to lower the pH. We commonly recommend Muriatic acid but if your apprehensive about it you can ues dry acid.

I have not had my salt tested, but I can take water up to the pool store to test.

I put in 120 lbs of salt, 10 more than required upon setup.

Okay, I'll work on PH...and one last question, I promise.

What is a reasonable range for chlorine?

thanks again!

You need stabilizer in the pool or your swg will never keep up. Shoot for about 60 to 70 ppm. That's about 2½ lbs. Wally World sells it in 3 lb containers.

I'd suspect a testing error on the pH. Did you use strips to test it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

When you return with the stabilizer (CYA) place the 2.5 lbs. in an old sock, or a couple layers of old panty hose. Hang that in front of the return (water shooting back into pool). Give it a squeeze to help it dissolve. It will take a few days to fully dissolve. If you were testing for it, or if the Pool Store tests for it be aware that it will take up to a week for it to show up in testing.

The HTH 6 way can test for CYA but only twice so wait the week before testing. You can pour the test solution back and forth to average out your readings. Do it on a sunny day with your back to the sun and the reading container at waist height. Lighting conditions can change the reading drastically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.