Pump Pressure rises after just 30 minutes - What's wrong?

Sep 2, 2011
Nanty Glo, PA
I just starting opening my pool this past weekend and ran into a few issues. First of all let me say that I had to redo my skimmer line converting from the original cheap hose to 1 1/2" flexible PVC with unions and necessary fittings. Also, my return (a light assembly the water comes out around) was leaking (like the o-ring inside the housing wasn't sealing) and I just decided to replace it with a standard return jet with "eyeball" (the light never worked anyway). I've been having issues with the return line seeping (fast drip) but I think I found where I went wrong (using Teflon tape instead of the appropriate PVC thread sealant and possibly over-tightening the threads). Anyway, I've noticed that my pump after a fresh backwash & rinse runs around 12 to 13 PSI (seems consistent with last years readings). At this pressure the water coming out of the new return is blasting out! (Note that my water level is not up above the return yet as I'm not finishing filling with water until the return is no longer leaking. I have my skimmer line shut off and I'm using my bottom drain to run the pump - LOVING that I went with the bottom drain option!)

So I let the system run awhile after the backwash and after about 30 minutes the pressure gauge has gone from 12/13 to 17/18 and the water coming out of the return is just flowing not blasting! Backwash / rinse again and same thing - about 30 to 60 minutes until pressure rises again. I didn't have this pressure rising issue when I first ran the pump overnight with the old return (the light assembly).

What could be causing this pressure to rise so fast? Could it be something related to my plumbing connections? Or could it be that the sand in my filter needs replaced. The sand is just starting season number 3 and I believe I've read that the sand should last for quite a few years.

Also, should my water be "blasting" out? It seems like it's a little too much force coming out. I also don't like how the water comes straight out (with minor adjustment from the eyeball) instead of coming out at a sharp angle like it did with my light assembly.

I can upload photos if they will help.

Thanks for your help!
-Garry

Re: Pump Pressure rises after just 30 minutes - What's wrong

How long are you backwashing? 3 to 4 minutes isn't excessive if the filter is really dirty. Too short of a backwash can result in quick cycle time.

When I first hooked everything up I did a backwash (not really necessary since I backwashed last Fall at closing) for maybe a minute. The subsequent backwashes have been maybe 30 seconds (I monitor the water coming out the waste hose that it's clear looking). Also, the water in the glass indicator is clear (apart from a little bit of sand in there).

-Garry

Ok, it seems everything is normal. Apparently my filter was doing a really good job of sucking up the gunk out of the pool after I shocked the pool and the filter was getting dirty and in need of frequent backwashing until the water cleared up. I've just never experienced this before (I think it's because I usually vacuum the day after shocking and backwash good after vacuuming).

-Garry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.