Tips to open without it being green?

neen01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2012
NJ
Trying to learn for next year. The first 3 or 4 years we had the pool, we opened and it was clear. Last year it was a little green. This year it was pretty green.
What factors in to make the difference? Is it all in what is done at closing? Should things be done during the winter? Is it the timing of when you open in the spring?

We have a solid safety cover with a cover pump.
Thanks!

This is the first year in the 3 years we've had a pool that we opened to green. I know ours was because we opened so late and the water temps got above 60 before I realized it. We were working on other projects and time just got away from us. It also became apparent that our cover was leaking water through it, so all the muck and algae on top had a fun time using up any residual chlorine as soon as it warmed up a bit. Then as we pulled the cover off, we lost some of the disaster on top of the cover into the pool.... Gotta find a better way next year! Gross!!

I don't know if you did anything different each time you closed your pool. I think there could be varying factors that contribute to opening green.

... Was the pool well balanced and CC free prior to closing?
... I always bring my pool up to shock level when we close to give it one last boost.
... What were the temps like during the winter? Anytime the water is above 60 the chlorine may have a job to do.
... How late did you open?
... Is your cover intact? Any debris in the pool?

There may be other things... but that's a good start in possibilities.

My guess is that yours is due to timing and temps.

I think we opened it later than usual - may was a busy month and in the past we had more time. that looks like the only thing on your list - thanks! good to know for next year

Close late (temp below 60) and open early (temp below 60). Make sure pool is clean and clear when you close. Raise FC to shock level or slightly higher before buttoning it up for the winter. If you have a solid cover that's got any age to it, the pool will be dirty/hazy in the spring but nothing a little filtering won't clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.