Looking for recommendations for pump and filter

May 30, 2013
I am looking to replace my pump and filter for my ~13,000 gal in-ground pool. Recently my pump has started to leak (I have replaced the shaft seal 2 times in the last 6 months I’m done with it.) and I am ready for a new pump. My sand filter is also undersized for the pool and needs to be replaced. I want to tackle all this as a DIY to keep the cost down as much as possible.

My pool is an in-ground vinyl 30x14 and 3’- shallow 6’ deep end. The pool has 1 skimmer, and 2 returns one at the skimmer and one by the ladder all 1.5” pipe. No slides or heaters.
My current pump is a ¾ 110v hp Sta-Rite DynaGlas with a Dura-Glas wet end. Pump is ~35’ from skimmer.
My filter is a Sta-Rite Hi-rate 2.18 Sq Ft 200lb sand filter.

I have been looking Pentair’s products online and was looking at the WhisperFlo and SuperFlo line of pumps. What are the major differences between the two? Are there any differences in the impeller design? I have 2 Australian shepherds who love to swim and I have had to clean hair out of my current pump’s impeller.

As for the filter, I was looking at a Pentair SD70 or SD80. Any opinions on ZeroLite vs silica or would it be just as good to add a lil DE to the filter?
Thanks for any input! :goodjob:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Welcome to tfp, okeydokey :wave:

okeydokey said:
I have been looking Pentair’s products online and was looking at the WhisperFlo and SuperFlo line of pumps. What are the major differences between the two?
The whisperflo is a higher flow rate pump design. For your pool size, with no high volume features the superflo line would be a good fit. The the 3/4 2-speed (341111) or if you have 220 maybe the 1 hp 2-speed (model 340042).

For the filter, we would recommend a minimum 2.4 sq. ft. filter which is not really much bigger than you have now. Is you current one having any problems?

linen said:
For your pool size, with no high volume features the superflo line would be a good fit. The the 3/4 2-speed (341111) or if you have 220 maybe the 1 hp 2-speed (model 340042).
Thanks, what about a single speed pump to keep the price down? Would a single speed 110V 3/4 hp superflo work well?
I live in Oregon, my pool isn't open year around I don't know that switching to a dual speed is going to recover much money in savings. Or perhaps is there something I am missing?

linen said:
For the filter, we would recommend a minimum 2.4 sq. ft. filter which is not really much bigger than you have now. Is you current one having any problems?

Unfortunately It seems that I have to backwash the filter frequently. Usually every 3 - 4 weeks or if the bottom is unusually dirty when I throw the Vac in I may have to backwash a few time in one cleaning. The pool doesn't get any algae growth, mostly leafs and dirt / dust, and when it rains heavily we get a lot of earthworms in the pool. But when I see it get where things are clumping up on the bottom I go out with the net and clean up the bottom so all that stuff isn't running through the filter.
My current filter when clean runs at 10psi and I backwash when it gets between 15-20psi.

The low speed of a 2-speed pump moves 1/2 the water at 1/4 the cost in electricity. If you ran on low for twice as long as on high, you would still save 50% of the power consumption ... up to you to determine how long it was take to offset the extra upfront cost.

If you just want a 1-speed, get a 3/4HP at the most.

We recommend baskwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... which would be more often for you. Are you sure the filter is clogging with dirt and not a low level algae bloom? What are your current test results?

Ok, so yesterday I shocked the pool and have been running the leaky pump for about 20 Hrs.
I have some family coming tonight for a BBQ, and I want the pool to be cleaned up for kids to swim.

I have some old test strips that are probably not the greatest for testing the pool water, but here are the results:
Free Chlorine ppm: ~10
Alkalinity ppm: ~40
pH:Low end of the color chart, 6
Calcium Hardness ppm: between 50-100
The water also has a sour taste which is new... I think its from the filter not running for the past 2 weeks.

I am looking at ordering a Pentair SuperFlo 3/4 Hp and a Pentair SD70 sand filter. Then I can worry about whats going on with the water.

I would be hesitant to allow swimming if you are not confident you have adequate FC with no CC and clear water.

You are right the strips are worthless when they are new and given that they are old, all bets are off. While you are ordering, get one of the recommended test kits.

That is a good sized filter for you. Likely still would make sense to get a 2-speed though.

Looking at pentair's superflo line here is some info comparing the dual speed vs the single speed:

Capture.PNG

Now look at the current draw the 2 speed pump on high speed draws 14 amps seems a little high for where my pump is sitting and how it is wired. Is that just starting current? The wire buried out to the pump is probably 300' and is 12Awg direct burial wire.

Another question, with the 2 speed pump would I use the low speed for daily skimming / filtering, then switch it to high when I toss in the Vac?

Plus both pumps have the same high speed pump curve, so besides being more energy efficient on low speed are there other benefits to the 2 speed pump? Will it outlast a single speed?

I'm just trying to weigh the benefits of spending the extra $$ on the more expensive 2 speed.

Thanks in Advance!

I think there are typos on their website. That 14.6 amps just does not make sense. I think the actual running load is closer to 10 amps on high.

Your issue is the same reason I stuck with a 230V pump instead of a smaller 115V pump ... a long 12 AWG 230V service run to my pad.

I would use the pump as you described, low most of the time and high only when you need it.

Have you actually tried to find that 2-speed pump? It is hard to find and typically seems to cost more than the 1HP unfortunately.

The other benefit besides electrical savings is that the pump is virtually silent while on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.