Stained pool

Jun 2, 2013
I had a oak tree land in my pool during Sandy. We had to wait for claim agent to come and assess the damage. Pool was closed w/o removing all the debris because they wanted it drained to inspect. We opened up couple weeks ago, drained, power wash, filled so wouldn't damage pool while waiting for addtl claim response. Now some stains have come off but many still remain. They will cover acid wash but I think plaster damaged from 50' oak tree canopy and the staining needs plaster redone?

I don't have any advice on removing stains as we are just starting to get quotes on putting one it. I did want to say that I am sorry you had that happen to you. Christmas Day we had a live oak fall on our home. Thank god it did not puncture the home. Had to re-do some of the roof and had inside sheet rock damage that had to be redone and painted. Once it is in the past it is in the past but while you are living it, not fun. Sorry.

The ones that look like they hit and smear look like organic stains.

Try placing/rubbing a trichlor tab on them. If they lighten, the stain is organic.
Raised/elevated chlorine levels should take care of organic stains.

If no joy, try a cheap vitiman C tablet. Do same, rub on stain, if it lightens the stain is metals.
If not too large an area, you can remove metal stains by crushing a bunch of cheap vitamin C tabs in a sock and moving it around on the stains.

...cheap vit c tabs don't have the outer coating :wink:

Edcialk said:
I have a nylon pool brush ...

Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anyting other than a nylon brush.

Did you test the stains?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.