Changing my sand in Hayward 200 series

Bobswe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2012
Cinnaminson NJ
Because my filter doesn't seem to be catching all the debris it should, and its been some time since the sand has been replaced, I'm planning on Monday to change the sand in my Hayward 200 series filter. This filter has 24 screws in the midsection, can I empty the sand after i drain the water by removing that or must I go from the very top? Also, how will I know if the anything is broken or clogged inside without being able to see everything up close?

It's unlikely that you need to change the sand. I'd pull the top off and check the sand level first, and see what the sand feels like. If the sand is level on the top (there will be dirt and debris there) and the sand doesn't feel "chunky" when you pick up a handful, your sand is probably fine. If the sand doesn't look right, you can stir it with a hose to get it resettled. A 3-4 ft piece of 1" PVC with a garden hose adapter on the end works well to stir up the sand. You turn the water on and use the pipe to work your way gently down into the sand. The water flow will completely resettle and clean the sand. Open the filter drain before you start.

But how will I know if a lateral is clogged or broken. When I vaccum my pool, it looks awesome but within 5-6 hours it seems all the dirt starts accumulating on the floor again. I found a thread on tfp from last year that had similar issue as mine but no resolve was ever posted by the maker. I've tried longer backwashes, vaccuming while in backwash setting but a large amount of dirt and debris always returns. It Actually started last year and I just "put up with it", but I seem convinced something's not right with the filter. My chems are perfect and water looks great, it's that darned dirt and debris. It's definately not algae, I have 0 CC's.

To begin with, I'd tie a sock or stocking over the return and see if there's sand returning to the pool or if it's just dirt from the atmosphere.

If there's no sand coming out the return, then I'd follow JT's advice.

Tie regular sock or skimmer sock around the return jet? Seems like alot of pressure shooting into it. How would I keep it attached? Trust me, changing the sand isn't something I want to do. It just hasn't been done in about 5-6 years. I don't think sand is coming back in because the dirt I see is much darker and the same amount always seems to come back. I am always open to try all the quick easy fixes first and would like to try the sock test to rule things out. But attaching the sock?

I gave my pool a good vacuum today and held a skimmer sock to the backwash hose. It affirmed that my filter did collect and discharge alot of dirt and debris. I'll still take a peek at the sand in a few days but looks like I won't need to replace it just yet. Looks like any re accumulating debris was from the fact that I have trees next to my pool. Thanks everyone!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.