Losing sand from my sand filter. Water is scummy on top...

Apr 25, 2012
Hey guys! I posted before with this, but I was in the middle of dealing with winter algae. Now that that is cleared up, I wanted to start fresh with a new post.

So, I have 2 problems. A short term problem is that there is scum on the top of my pool. It's stuff that I can't fish out of the pool and my filter is apparently not getting it out. It could just be pollen (I live in Chattanooga, TN), but it's still annoying.

A long term problem, which I'm wondering if it's causing my short-term problem, is that I'm losing sand from my sand filter. It's been happening since I bought the house. I've been running it since last April or so when we got new sand put in it. It's been losing a little sand ever since then. Personally, I think that I'm running low on sand now and that's why there is scum on top of my pool. What do you guys think?

EXTRAS:
I'm attaching pictures of the top of my pool so you can see the scuminess that I'm referring to.

[attachment=1:2wn5hjv7]pool-1a.JPG[/attachment:2wn5hjv7]
[attachment=0:2wn5hjv7]pool-2a.jpeg[/attachment:2wn5hjv7]

Attachments

• pool-1a.JPG
    pool-1a.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 36
  • pool-2a.jpeg
    pool-2a.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 37
Re: Losing sand from my sand filter. Water is scummy on top

Sand loss is most likely a broken latteral in the filter or possibly a bad spider gasket in the multi port valve, you can use the forum search for detailed posts on how to fix these. As to the stuff that is floating it would help if you can post a full set of test numbers preferably done with one of the suggested test kits in pool school, personally I use the TF-100 as it is a better value than the K-2006 since you get more of the reagents you use the most.

Ike

The stuff on the top looks like it's normal dirt/debris, although the reflections make it hard to tell in the picture.

Sand in the pool is one of a couple things. Bad o-ring on the multiport, bad spider gasket on the multiport, broken lateral, improperly seated lateral. The spider gaskets on the Hayward filters aren't designed to be replaced, you're supposed to buy a whole new valve; that said, I have heard of people carefully scraping off the original gasket and gluing a new one in place.

You're basically going to have to take the filter apart and inspect everything. I'd start with the laterals - if they're not seated properly, it's a real easy fix. If they're broken, it's only slightly harder, and they're cheap parts.

So, if I have to take my filter apart to see what it is, does that mean my pool will be without a filter and without circulation for a few days? Or however long it takes to get the new part in?

Taking it apart to inspect then putting it back together is a couple hours, tops. How long it's down depends on what parts you need and how long it takes to get a hold of them. Take the multiport valve apart to inspect the gasket (lots of videos on youtube) and remove the sand (shop vac or garden shovel) to get to the laterals. Be gentle! Also, inspect the standpipe (center pipe)itself for cracks. After you get it looked at, you should have a good idea of the next step.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.