High CYA Red water clear. FILTER SOCKS V STIFF. WHY?

Re: Aerating/oxygenating the pool water

Sorry, as a novice, I mixed up TA and CYA' s solutions. both are high. We have partially drained the pool ( to combat the high CYA ) and are refilling as I write, but also want to lower the TA if possible. If I use a fountain that is attached to the return, how much time can I use it without affecting the circulation of the pool and therefore raising the risk of algae? We have only one return as the pool is a Desjoyeaux.

Re: Aerating/oxygenating the pool water

What is your current TA, and what is driving you to reduce it?

No reason to drop it if your ph is stable and you are not having issues with scaling on your vinyl (I peaked at some of your other threads).

From now on I would keep your posts on your current pool situation in one thread.

Re: High CYA and therefore high FC levels. Is it safe? HELP!

We have partially drained the pool and are refilling as iI write. Will re-test and hope we have reduced the CYA later. My feeling is that it will not be enough and we may have to drain it completely! What I am interested to know is if there are any large chlorine tablets on the market which contain no stabiliser. I am sure that our problem with CYA has stemmed from the use of tablets containing it over a long period. I am happy to replace the tablets with bleach when we are looking after the pool, but when we are away, I should prefer to leave the maintenance routine as unchanged s possible, to avoid confusion.

Caro said:
What I am interested to know is if there are any large chlorine tablets on the market which contain no stabiliser.
Not really (you may be able to find cal hypo tabs but they add calcium and they dissolve very fast).

Our TA was 180 before we started draining and refilling the pool ( 120 after calculating the effect of the high CYA ). However our PH seems pretty stable. Unusually for this area, we tend to have low PH whereas all our neighbours have the opposite problem! By aerating the pool, I might be able to keep the PH gently up and reduce the TA.

Caro said:
Thanks, but I want to avoid all stabilisers as we are desperately trying to get the CYA down.
I don't think Butterfly was suggesting using it, she was just answering your question :)

Bleach/liquid chlorine is what you should use now for chlorinating if you can.

To get the cya down, a partial drain/refill is required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We took about a third of the water out of the pool and refilled with our filtered tap water. I am SO depressed as the reading is still way off the scale for CYA. I did the test with half tap water- still off the scale... and did it again first using half water then mixing, discarding half and topping it up with tap water. So I am essentially testing pool water at quarter strength. It still reads 100! Is it possible that we really have CYA at this level after a partial drain?
My total readings:
FC 12.6
RC 12.6
CC 0
Bromine 28.35
PH 7.4
TA 250 but after adjusting for the CYA level 117.8
CYA 400 +

The only solution is a complete drain isn't it as otherwise I have to maintain the FC level at above 28!

I feel like closing the pool as I my husband doesn't want to admit to the problem!

Just a bit off the subject but where did you get that bromine test result?? You have a chlorine pool, correct?

How are you testing?

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You don't have any bromine in your pool....your pool is a chlorine pool.

I might get a second opinion on that LaMotte CYA reading. Does that test use tablets?

No. After I take the level of FC (12.6) I am instructed to multiply that by 2.25 to get the level of Bromine. So it is actually not measured at all. I just thought it as a calculation we had to do. My mistake.

The Lamotte test for CYA involves dissolving a tablet in pool water in one tube and then noting when you lose sight of the black dot at the bottom of the inner tube when you slowly depress it. As our pool water was so dense in the tube, I tried the half and half pool and tap water test recommended by Richard. Still reading 100, so I tried a quarter part pool water and the rest tap. Still 100. Multiplied by 4. That's why I assume I have CYA in excess of 400.

Have you chlorinated the pool in the past with pucks? That CYA is still amazingly high and you will have to partially drain your pool 4-6 times to get your CYA to a manageable 50.

That LaMotte test is pretty dependable so it is, unfortunately, probably correct.

I would get another test to confirm and then start to drain.

We drained just under a third of the water and these readings were taken just after refilling! I can only guess what the original levels was. Today the FC was 12.6 and although I realise that with such high CYA levels our FC should be at least 28(!) there is no sign of algae and my partner swam. He said the water felt good. Is it safe? It is just the two of us at the moment.

According to poolcalculator.com, with a CYA of 400, your FC should be at 43, and never below 30. That being said, it is safe to swim as long as FC>minimum, FC<shock level, and the water is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.