TC is over 10

Catherineb said:
Hi Brushpup, I bought the rest of the bleach today. I promise I am going to drain about 70% the pool but not until next weekend. Until then, can you clarify that by adding all this bleach it will reduce the amount of CC?
Last night I added 3 gallons of 8.25 % bleach and today my FC is 4 but total CC is 30. If I continue and add another 5 gallons of bleach today, will that destroy the CC in my pool? when should I expect to see the CC come down? straight away or like in a weeks time? Is a total of 8 gallons at 8.25% to do this? I intend to do this later when the sun goes down. Hopefully I will get your reply by then. Thanks for your help.

BTW - This problem all started when I added 15lbs of copper stain remover from Bioguard which did not work (although the test kit did) this is how my pool sky rocketed my CH. Then I added 26lbs of powder shock to breakdown the CC which didn't work either but only raised by CH. Nightmare.

That is why I ask that this shock of 8 gallon liquid chlorine will in fact be enough to break down the CC. I still want to do this exercise so I know this for the future although once I do my drain it should get rid of all these problems and I can start again with my chemicals. Hope all this makes sense.

No one here can definitively answer that set of questions. The variables are too many and too hard to measure. The likely outcome of dumping in enough bleach to reach and maintain the shock level consistently until the water improves at your cya level is the same as doing so at a lower shock value with lower cya - but in both cases it is unknown how long or how much chlorine over time will be used. It is certain that you will use a lot more test reagents with the higher cya and subsequent shock levels. It is also likely that you will not fully clear the water in a short time and when you dump a portion of the water you will be wasting whatever amount of chlorine you have in the water you dump.

Also when you say you measured a CYA level of 150 I'm not clear if that means you got 75 with a diluted sample or something different, can you clear up my confusion?

- Sent using Tapatalk

How are you getting CC of 30? Are you saying that you run the FC, get 8 drops to make it clear, add 5 drops of R-003, and then it takes 60 drops to make it clear again? I think not. Did you mean a CC of 3.0 instead? Re-run it please. Sorry, but that needs to be sorted out. You likely have enough bleach to sgock it, but please get back with that new FC/CC Number

One more thing if you haven't already, I suggest you switch to a 10ml sample for FC/CC tests. Each drop then measures 0.5 parts per million (ppm) rather than 0.2ppm which is sufficiently accurate for pool maintenance. This saves time and chemicals in your test kit.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Brushup, the test I mentioned was done this morning. I have just this moment done another test. Now it says FC 0.5 how can this be when I added 3 gallons of bleach last night and this morning it was 4ppm Using the 10ml 2 dippers and only 1 drop to make it clear and the cc test now it takes 41 drops to make it clear? 42 x 0.5 = 21 CC? I don't get it?

Unerwatervanya - thanks for your reply. The CYA was 100 on one test and a little more on another test. Not diluted. I know to do the diluted test which I will do Monday evening when I do not have kids around me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ammonia...tough animal there. I do hate to say it, but since you are refilling to 70%, it seems almost a waste to do all this. However, if you want to proceed, it will take an enormous amount of FC to destroy the ammonia. I wont even guess how much. I'm sorry not to have a better answer for you.

I agree, you would be better to save some bleach and refill. You will be reducing ammonia and CYA, both of which will reduce the required bleach. I believe it is generally recommended to replace 1/3 of the water at a time, but I am not positive about that.

Thanks Guys, what a nightmare.
My CYA was 50 with the diluted test making a total of 100 (not 200) sorry for not being clear.
So, I am thinking because of my scaling (this is how all of this started, me trying to get rid of the staining/scaling by adding the bioguard) what if I get someone to drain the pool, acid wash it and add the chemicals for me? solve all my problems at once? one company told me they don't acid was a pool 8 years or older. Mine is 8 years old. The appearance of the scaling drives me insane. Its not copper although a test kit did prove that there was some copper because it left a nice bright spot, really lifted it but then the full treatment did not touch it ugh! I think I have too many problems to solve by myself. What do you think? I know some say not to acid wash as it could damage the plaster. What do you guys think? If you think I can do this, who do you recommend to do this? I myself do not even know how long it would take to drain my pool using my hose?

I am thinking this because if I do drain 70% and I still have ammonia I will likely go crazy. I may as well get rid of everything seeing as everything is so out of whack. Surely if the pool is emptied and fresh chemicals added, I should be good, no? I think I would rather pay the money to get it back in order and then I can keep it properly going forward. My mind is going round and round!! BUT, I am learning a lot from Pool School and all the posts I am reading.

MyNewPool - thanks so much for sending me your photos. They look fantastic and I truly understand what you are saying. You done a great job. I need to find some of this POP ha! BTW - my pool is clear and looks quite good. Not green. You would not even know that my chemicals were so out of whack by looking at the water. My scaling is annoying although my friends say you cant even see it BUT I SEE IT!! anyway, after advice from POOL STORE I added so many things that didn't work. They only made all matters worse. In face after 8 years, I have never had so many problems. In fact I have hardly had any issues or so I thought. Your pool is 13,000 mine is 15,000 but your pool looks a lot bigger than mine. I reckon mine is smaller, I had better try and measure to see if it is truly 15,000. Thanks again for the photos.

Don't assume that if someone sets the pool chemistry up they will do it in a way you will be happy with. Most set the cya too high (100 is common with pool guys since they can't be on site daily.)

- Sent using Tapatalk

Once you re-fill, do the chemical treatment and water balance with the information you find here. If you follow that info, you will have very few if any issues. You can do it, and you should do it. Paying someone else to take care of it will cost you so much more, and quite likely take you down a similar path again. It's easy Cat...YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.