DPD testing instructions that uses less reagent

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
I know at some point I read instructions on a way to do the DPD chlorine test for high levels of chlorine where you use less reagent. I can't find that post now... does anyone know what I mean? It was something like use a 25ml sample and multiply by .2 instead of .5, but I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

I am assuming you mean the FAS-DPD test, the one that starts with a small scoop of power turning the water pink.

Using a 25 ml sample and multiplying by .2 requires more reagent than usual.

You can mix the pool water one to one with distilled water and test that. Then each drop will be 1.0, which means fewer drops and a faster test but you lose precision.

MikeInTN said:
You can also fill the tube to 10 ml; then each drop is .5 ppm.

That's the way I usually test. I have never really felt that I needed the accuracy of 0.2 ppm. Saves me on reagent which is good since nobody around these parts carries R-0871.

257WbyMag said:
MikeInTN said:
You can also fill the tube to 10 ml; then each drop is .5 ppm.

That's the way I usually test. I have never really felt that I needed the accuracy of 0.2 ppm. Saves me on reagent which is good since nobody around these parts carries R-0871.

I bought a pretty good sized bottle of R-0871 online from these folks Swimming Pool Supply . In fact, I use them for all of my refills. The reagents are shipped direct from Taylor Technologies.

I'm thinking i got the 2 oz bottle of R-0871 (it's DPD#2 on the website, I think).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.